oil leak - wading plug

suveer

hi all,

i see oil leaking through the wading plug hole in the bell housing of my 1997 300tdi disco 1. Will it be the oil from the main box or something else that is seeping from somewhere.

thanks

if its from the engine its comong through the crank seal this oil would be black if its coming from the gbox/transferbox it would be either atf red or stinky gear oil is it a lot of oil or just a wte patch around the hole

If you have a Disco that does not leak from the wading plug hole, then you have no oil in the engine . . . . .

seriously, I've had 7 Disco's & they all leaked a little from the crank seal.

to test how much, fit a wading plug for a week & then catch what comes out when you remove it.

If it's a desert spoon full, then ignore it until you change the clutch & even if it's more - ignore it unless your clutch slips.

We have 3 Discos & simply have a few shovels of sand under the area below the engines when parked.

Rule of thumb . . . . . there is no such thing as a Disco that does not leak.

Filthy

To my mind, an oil seal lip should need to leak through within reason, otherwise the mating rubbing surfaces would not be lubricated. If it didn't, the seal lip would just "burn" out through friction.

So, a little weeps?

I agree in a way FF, but I have seen the occasional main seal on 300Tdi and V8 engines that did not leak enough for any oil to come out of the wading plug hole. The seal is concave where it runs on the crankshaft and maybe a little oil sits in there.

Mine, like most, leaks a drop every day or two (and has done for years).