Skill and Fun

jules

As those you you who know me I have sold my big toy LSE and back with a completely standard Range rover classic as the Racer is far from practical for club play days and the daily driver always seams to suffer some form of expensive sensor failure every time it goes to a club day. I turned up to the last club day at slab common for Dave birthday bash and collected the key from the MOD (I'm the licence holder so for Shire events) got to the site walked to dogs quickly and met everyone else arriving to set up the day for the club day. etc. etc..

After chatting to lots of people and thinking to my self why did I bother fitting a old set of tyres off one of the racers (225 MTR's) to play on as its not going to get anywhere.

Well my plan was not to trash the car as I don't see the point or how that can even be fun but that's me and try to have a bit of fun while driving round. The Range Rover classic with its Air springs and its a old overfinch so it sits very low even on off road setting but off I went and could I get it stuck (remembering its a range rover I didn't go near the water) I went playing in the tank ruts and some of the softer wetter areas it even got across the tank crossings it took a few goes as the tow bar or plough was doing its best to stop me. I followed most of the larger trucks when things quietened down not wanting to be laughed at too much ;) .

My conclusion was I didn't get stuck but had to think about every obstacle as I drove them and the stock classic with its dainty little mud tyres did really well even it front spoiler although full of sand stayed fully intact. The only damage was from a 109 I tried to recover his rope snapped and the shackle hit my lower tail gate denting it but it could have been worse.

I suppose I enjoyed it so much because with the old LSE all I needed to to was point and it would go though nearly anything it could fit into and the challenge truck before was the same but having to think and plan things a little more made it so much more fun to drive in a stock truck

There is definitely a lot of truth in that, whilst hardly up to the standard of some of the beast on here when I go out with my mate in his standard Disco on ATs with a bit of thought and choice of line he can get most places I can, with my mud tyres and front and rear lockers I can just wander through without even thinking or spinning a wheel.

On the same terrain he comes away with a big smile and a sense of achievement and I am left wishing for something more challenging :P

I take pleasure in being reminded on regular basis about how capable a stock Landy (of any flavour)