which one to look at? V8 or TD

jjojjas

Hi,

I'm just looking for a few views here really. My wife has lately started dropping hints about getting a range rover (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and the hints aren't really subtle...

I have a 200tdi 110 so I'm familiar with the land rover build quality (!) and the diesel motors, but there seem to be a fair few v8's knocking about. The prices were looking at indicate a 60,000 mile(ish) P38. I was really hoping for your views on either option, a DSE or 4.0 V8.

I have read a LPG conversion is cheapest out of the lot to run, but she only works 4 mile away (well, she will when we move house) so star ship mileage isn't an issue. Personally I'd go for a Diesel for three reasons. 1. easy to work on and I'm familliar with that type of moter. 2. you could put "special diesel" in them if so desired and sometimes they appear to be cheaper (??sometimes?) 3. I don't see why she should go fast when I'm trawling along at 65mph in the 110.

What do you lot think? Oh, and one more thing. Should I just expect to have problems with the suspension?

Thanks in advance

Jas

forgot to mention, I have read the boards and it appears that there is a split in which one to get (petrol/diesel). i don't care what it sounds like, I'm more concerned about the practicality issues. My wife wants a range rover because she like the look of them and the size of the interior (family/dogs etc) not for BHP or acoustic reasons..

Jas

as much as it pains me to say it - the diesel may be the better option in terms of economy. For such short mileages, the petrol will use up a lot of fuel as it goes through the warm up routine. V8's like to get upto temp and run at temp for a while. Some folk may say that constantly short-cyclinging them with short journeys may be a contributing factor the the typical block problems you see with the V8.

i would say you should 'expect' to get suspension issues from around the 80000 mile mark or the 7 to 8yrs old time frame - most notably the rubber perishing on the springs.

That being said, as a preventative measure, changing the air springs pre-emptively could save you a lot of time and hassle. The springs from paddocks seem to be the cheapest at the moment and they are actually Dunlop items just like the original dunlop items fitted. Factor about £400 for the springs ( probably a little less ) into your budget and it could save you a lot of worry. Springs are relatively easy to change yourself and all four can be done in a day.

LPG is also not going to suit the type of use you describe. Most, if not all, current LPG conversions are designed to start on petrol then switch over once the engine reaches a predetermined temperature (the key point being that the engine coolant which is piped through the LPG vapouriser is warm enough to stop it freezing up). I find I do the first half to two miles on petrol, depending on ambient temperature and whether the truck has run already that day. If the engine's already warm it switches over straight away. That's fine if you do mostly longish distances, but if you do mostly short runs petrol will account for a significant percentage of your fuel use, and that's obviously going to push your fuel costs per mile up quite a bit.

I think I just registered a vote for diesel. That's twice this week :(

Factor about £400 for the springs ( probably a little less ) into your budget and it could save you a lot of worry. Springs are relatively easy to change yourself and all four can be done in a day.

I paid about £230 for AirBagMan ones (also made by Dunlop, but slightly longer than standard), direct from their EU importer in Ireland. It's more hassle fitting the bladders than complete units, but it's still only a days DIY work.