Power Steering for a 2.5na

I would like to add power steering to my 2.5na. I have a box, but the tough part for me to source here in the states is the mount. Is there a specific mount for the 2.5? Will one from a 2.5td or a 200tdi work? The other question is, will the two belt crank pully be sufficient?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

the 2.5n/a & TD engines use the same power steering pump mounting ERC8974 upto june 1992 from that date it changed to ERC8854 & is a common part on the 2.5n/a & TD & Defender 200Tdi engines, the Discovery 200Tdi uses ERR1115 which probably won't be any good.

the attached parts page shows the engine mounted parts so you can add PAS to your vehicle, the pipes/hose assemblies will have to be soucred to suit as there are many variations depending on which pump & steering box is used.

your 2 groove crank pulley should be fine, provided you fit the PAS belt in the front groove & fan/alternator belt to the rear groove.

hope that helps & good hunting for the parts.

post-20-1231586597_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would like to add power steering to my 2.5na. I have a box, but the tough part for me to source here in the states is the mount. Is there a specific mount for the 2.5? Will one from a 2.5td or a 200tdi work? The other question is, will the two belt crank pully be sufficient?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi! Chris,

I too have a 2.5 Na and was happy a fellow forum member was breaking down his Defender and I bought the whole PAS stuff from him.

Its a joy now to drive the defender, without PAS it was very very painful in Indian traffic conditions. While driving its ok but when you need to park, its a nice gym workout for the arms and shoulders.

LANDY POWER ASSISTED STEERING:-

Yes you can convert to PAS, you need to get hold of:

A Power Steering Pump

A Twin belt crank pulley

A PAS steering box

The pipework required, and

A fluid reservoir. It isn't too hard, but you gotta get these.

Oh, and another belt.

You should also check that your engine has the holes dirilled and tapped in the side of the block for the pump - they mount in the bottom right hand side, as you are standing in front looking at the engine, underneath the alternator.

Try asking on the forums. You might get lucky, just like me.

some more pics on the pipes you will need

fluid tank

PS box

post-12176-1231593646_thumb.jpg

post-12176-1231593824_thumb.jpg

post-12176-1231593901_thumb.jpg

post-12176-1231593963_thumb.jpg

Prith & RecoveryMan,

Thanks for the responses, I've acquired a four bolt steering box and figure that I can use a PAS from a V8 over here. The mount is a differnt story and I will have to make one or get one from your part of the world. The hoses I can probably have made here also.

Thanks again,

Chris

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I know that I am breathing life into an old thread, but I'm confused as to which PAS box to use on a LHD 2.5 NA diesel.

I have figured out the pump bracket and front plate, and have identified NTC9070 as the correct pump.

I am looking for the pump, steering box, reservoir. pipes, and anything else that I need.

I think that it is a NTC9070 pump, ERR2605 plate for the bracket.

Any information on parts numbers would be appreciated.

Can I use the drop arm on the manual box?

The engine is a 12J 2.5 NA diesel in a 1995 exMOD Defender, LHD.

I have posted an ad in the wanted section also, but am not sure exactly all that I need.

Thanks,

Colin