Heated Seats

Hi, I've got my hands on a pair of heated Defender seats to comfy up my Series11A. My query is with regards the two cables that come out of each of the seat rear. The two cables, apparently identical, aside from one is slightly longer than the other. The plugs (two pin) are the same on both and so both fit into the socket on the seat base, which I assume one should. So which one is it, the long or the short cable, or am I totally off track. Aside from damaging the seats if I've got it wrong, I'd rather not poach my posterior!!! :rolleyes: Thanks in advance JTC

... heated Defender seats .... two cables come out of each of the seat rear. The two cables, apparently identical, aside from one is slightly longer than the other. The plugs (two pin) are the same on both and so both fit into the socket on the seat base, which I assume one should. So which one is it, the long or the short cable, or am I totally off track. Aside from damaging the seats if I've got it wrong, I'd rather not poach my posterior!!!

What colours are the wires?

It could be that both pads (back and base) are wired independently, (but probably only the base has the thermostat)

The diagram merely shows a heated seat as a single item, the power wire being blue, the earth black.

Do both seats have two cables?

"both fit into the socket on the seat base, which I assume one should."

Connector C1401 (LH) and 1403 (RH) are shown on the seat base (the car bodywork, not the seat) and are only 2 pin connectors.

I cannot think what other electrical device might be fitted on a Defender seat (I've discounted a seat occupancy switch and a powered headrest).

For Information

-----------------------------

HEATED SEATS

DESCRIPTION

Introduction

Defender is now fitted with heated front seats, which operate when the ignition switch is turned to the 'ignition' position. The seat heat switches are latching switches, and are located on the fascia console. Each switch also contains a tell-tale LED.

Both seat heater elements contain a thermostatically controlled switch. When the element temperature reaches 37 ± 3 °C (98 ± 3 °F), the thermostat cuts the supply to the heater elements for that seat. As the temperature of the heater elements falls to 28 ± 3 °C (82 ± 3 °F), the thermostat closes causing the elements to heat up again.

-------------------------------

One 20 amp fuse serves both seats.

I have just laid my hands on what sounds like the same thing. Mine came with coloured tape on one of the connectors and the plug on the bottom of the seat base. I can't for the life of me recall any difference in length.... I will have a look when I get home later, though.

For clarity.... 2 pairs of wires come out of the seat back and clip to the frame. One pair connects to the seat base and the other to the power supply, so it should be a case of cutting the plug off, fitting some connectors and a switch/timer/variable control and powering them up. Or finding the relevant section of loom from a supplier or scrap vehicle...

The heated seats in my XS have detachable plugs for the seat base, though the wires are long enough that the base can be removed and put into the footwell in order to get access without having to unplug them. One thing to watch for is making sure the cables don't get trapped and pinched underneath the seat bases when they're put back on.

Is it still easy to remove the seat bases with these installed? Do they have plugs so you can disconnect them?

After a winter with a cold backside, I am looking into this for next year.

I was thinking of a tour of the scrappies in the summer. One seat woyld do. I was thinking of just doing the base of the back. I bet you bottom dollar I'd lift my seat base and rip the wires out.

I like to know more aboiut the thermostat.

mike

Is it still easy to remove the seat bases with these installed? Do they have plugs so you can disconnect them?

After a winter with a cold backside, I am looking into this for next year.

Yes the seat base unplugs to get access to battery & electrics under drivers seat.

wear some more clothes :lol:

Thanks for the replies so far.

Interested to see if Orange can see any difference in the length of the two cables. Looks like they were tagged with the tape for just the reason I'm on here now. Choice of two, guaranteed to get the wrong one!

David Sparkes, both of the cables are twin core, ie a pair, sorry I didn't make that very clear in my original post, and covered in the plastic corregated (?) stuff to protect them.

Thanks again JohnTC

John - sorry. Got completely waylayed with work being plop and was busy working on the truck yesterday.

The wires that connect to the seat base are about 2" longer than the others and are black and grey.

The wires that go to the switch/power source/controller are yellow & grey.

HTH

Adrian