tyre be or not tyre be!

hi all

i am very new to the land rover world and have very quickly started to take it rather seriously!(bit to poss lol)

so i have a set of kumho 305. at the moment but they just dont grip well in mud (not so great)

im not after any of this self cleaning on/off road tyre nonsence beacause in my opinion there either one or the other!

ive been looking at some insa turbo special terrain? my problem is they just arent wide enough.

so guys what do ya thinksky?

thanks allot

jack

mud tyres are better if they a narrow so they cut through the sift top surface & find the hard surface to grip on, I run BFG MT's of 255/85 & previously the 235's both are very good in mud, 305's are a bit to wide & tend to float over the top.

mud tyres are better if they a narrow so they cut through the sift top surface & find the hard surface to grip on, I run BFG MT's of 255/85 & previously the 235's both are very good in mud, 305's are a bit to wide & tend to float over the top.

nice one great stuff, so are the insa's any good in 265 ?

jack

I ran the 235/85/16 Special Tracks on my Range Rover and my 90 and they were an excellent budget choice. They do benefit from slightly lower pressures. We ran mine at 18PSi for one event and the difference was amazing...

Be aware that they are noisey (not as loud as Simex, though) and they do require a bit more concentration in the wet when on road, but other than that, they are a good choice.

One thing I did notice is that the compound seemed to be pretty soft, so rather than wear, they seemed to burr over to create a mushroom type effect on the tread... Not necessarily a problem, just an observation.

i've had that size tyre great tyre for the price but i only had them for P+P days

as mentioned above in wet there not good, and the noise off them on tarmac is bareable but noticable (unlike the simex on now like a 747 taking off from your roof).

whats your usage going be there abit rough for laning really but good for P+P

i've got the simex for playing an BF's same as western for everything else as the dont wear out and as mentioned are great in the mud altho the rims could be better :(

dave

If you are just laning and the odd P&P day then stick with BFG MT's- very well behaved on the road and last for ages, not to mention being good in the gloopy stuff as well. I have 265/75R16s on my 90 that gets used for getting to work, towing, laning etc etc and they are just right for the job.

Insa Special Tracks are an excellent tyre for the money for challenge events and to be fair if you are a regular at P&P days- hence the nice new set sat in the garage at the moment- the only down sides being the on road performance (not too clever in the wet and loud enough to start deafening you...) and the fact that on road they will wear pretty quickly.

Around where I am a wider tyre is better as you want to float across the top, if you break through it there usually isn't a bottom, boggers for the gloops stuff and maxi cross for anything else ;)

The fedima trial-ades are pretty good...

thanks so much for every ones input great stuff!

so what do we think pay the extra for the simex? or go for the ASDA insa's?!

i have my cheepy cheep kumhos for the road!!!!

jack

Depends.......

For a set of 5 you are looking at a difference in price of roughly £600 (tyres only).....that's a whole lot of money that can be put to use elsewhere on the truck... Personally, I would buy the cheaper option and see how you get on. If you get more 'in to it', ring Devon 4x4 and order some Simex... As always, it's nice to have the best, but next to best some times allows you to do more (either to the truck, or in terms of events etc). At the beginning of December I went to a P&P site. It was very wet and sludgy. I managed the whole site on BFG MTs, only had to use diff-lock once and the rear locker at the same time... If that was all I did with the truck, I'd stick with them.

On previous vehicles I started with the Insa's and found them fantastic. The truck was well behaved when driving around, and they performed admirably in the event we entered, so I stuck with them. The only reason I am looking at Simex now is the size as Insa's don't come in 35". If you can cope with 32.5" tyres, stick with the Insa's

From a competition point of view......it's nicer (and definitely quicker) to drive sections than to winch. The more aggressive tread with the larger diameter will enable you to do that and therefore save time and effort throughout the day.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice. If you've got £900 to spend on a set of Simex, go for it..... Bear in mind also that with bigger, more aggressive tyres come louder and more catastrophic part failures further into the drive train...