terrafirma thoughts

badgerbob

hi have just ordered some heavy duty shocks and springs for my defender 90 td5 i am doing a overland trip this year and with a winch roofrack and a rooftent on board i thought i should up grade the shocks from oil to gas i didnt want to put a lift on as there could be prop problems.i phoned round today and they wanted nearly 600 pounds for old emu i no people say they are the best but are they worth all that got the terrafirma for 200 was this a good move or not whats your views on this

I've used Terrafirma shocks with standard LR HD springs on a 90 for over a year now.

The HD springs are not up to the job when the rooftent is on, gear in the back and full water/fuel cans.

At one point on a trip I needed six full fuel jerrys and two full water jerrys in the back, tools, spares, food, and the springs were way down on thier haunches - I regularly bounced hard off the bump stops on rough pistes for miles on end.

So the springs were mince, but the terrafirma shocks did a commendable job of not expiring and controled the ride pretty well. I'd buy them again.

a good friend of mine is a manager for an independant that has to sell them,he recons they are pants,the supposed 2"lift kit barely raises by 1.5".

I keep hearing conflicting info about the kits too

Standard dampers with 2" lift springs and springs drooping after a short amount of time.

On the plus side, they are the same price as the Bearmach/Britpart kits so i suppose they are the same sort of thing?

B)