CHALLENGER 4X4 TUFF TROPHY 2009 25-26TH JULY 2009

Soliholic

• 1 year later...

Good job this is happening and I Hope that the winner is actually taking this price. When I competed in the extreme 4x4 sport events this price was also on offer. I needed it but finished 13th. The winner never wanted to use the entry, so it went in the bin. Not knocking the idea, just mention my experience.

Daan

Daan and anyone else interested – I realise my reply to your post are well out of date, well over a year in fact, but I have only just found this thread about the Tuff Trophy 2009, and in the interest of fairness I feel I ought to set the record straight as this sponsorship prize was never resolved.

The prize of a free entry to the Rainforest Challenge of Malaysia 2009 (RFC) was never taken up by the winners of the Tuff Trophy 2009 - Steve Gittins and Mark Morgan. Fair enough, that was their decision, but as far as I was aware, this prize was never passed on to the 2nd place team of Nick Anderson and Kev Pocock, or the 3rd placed team of Dan Elias and Adrian Turner, and on down the line until a team could accept the prize. Subsequently, the UK did not have a representative in the RFC last year. I could be wrong of course, but when I emailed Paul & Lucy Bass a month before RFC`09 to enquire which team was going, the silence was deafening. All I do know for sure, no team who competed in the Tuff Trophy 2009 competed in Malaysia!

I mention all this now because in my role as the UK Representative of the RFC, I am in the process of seeking a winch challenge event to donate exactly the same prize to for next year – a complimentary entry for the RFC 2011 – so obviously the last thing I want is a repeat situation re-occurring.

Does anyone know anything further on this subject?

Daan and anyone else interested – I realise my reply to your post are well out of date, well over a year in fact, but I have only just found this thread about the Tuff Trophy 2009, and in the interest of fairness I feel I ought to set the record straight as this sponsorship prize was never resolved.

The prize of a free entry to the Rainforest Challenge of Malaysia 2009 (RFC) was never taken up by the winners of the Tuff Trophy 2009 - Steve Gittins and Mark Morgan. Fair enough, that was their decision, but as far as I was aware, this prize was never passed on to the 2nd place team of Nick Anderson and Kev Pocock, or the 3rd placed team of Dan Elias and Adrian Turner, and on down the line until a team could accept the prize. Subsequently, the UK did not have a representative in the RFC last year. I could be wrong of course, but when I emailed Paul & Lucy Bass a month before RFC`09 to enquire which team was going, the silence was deafening. All I do know for sure, no team who competed in the Tuff Trophy 2009 competed in Malaysia!

I mention all this now because in my role as the UK Representative of the RFC, I am in the process of seeking a winch challenge event to donate exactly the same prize to for next year – a complimentary entry for the RFC 2011 – so obviously the last thing I want is a repeat situation re-occurring.

Does anyone know anything further on this subject?

From what i remember it was to short notice to get a truck ready and ship it out in time and this applied to most of the competitors aswell plus the time off work people may not be able to get and added expense,

Dont quote me i may be wrong,

Carl.

Time-wise it was still okay, but the expense we can all appreciate. Just wondered if those down the line were ever given the choice?

in all fairness its a bit late to be wondering about it

Dont think it was ever passed down the line??? as Dan and i would have gone! Free entry to a very big over sea's event is not to be over looked!

I personally do not believe for a moment the prize will motivate anyone to do it. The commitment required to compete in the RFC is very great, and whether the entry is free wont be a deal breaker or maker.

Talking numbers: you are going to spend at least 5k doing it, and having free entry saves you 1k. Do all of a sudden hordes of people think were doing it? no.

It is a bit of a pet hate of me, that people say: were doing it without really thinking it through. In the beginning of 2003, there were 6 teams going. There was a plan to have 2 40 feet containers loaded up with 6 cars, and the whole thing would actually be quite affordable. The week before the ship was about to leave, there were me and Bucky left who were going. Then Bucky decided he couldnt make it, and yes there we were: me and my mate mark in our landy were going.

I do wonder whether all these people were ever really planning to go?

It is a big undertaking and I made the decission with christmas 2002, to go in november 2003. This gave me 10 months to organize it (I had to prepare the car as well). It happenned eventually, but in the end it was still the usual chaos (to get ready).

Still, It is by far the best thing I ever did, and all uk events put together quite frankly cant hold a candle to it, and as a result I can say: it was worth every penny.

Daan

I personally do not believe for a moment the prize will motivate anyone to do it. The commitment required to compete in the RFC is very great, and whether the entry is free wont be a deal breaker or maker.

Talking numbers: you are going to spend at least 5k doing it, and having free entry saves you 1k. Do all of a sudden hordes of people think were doing it? no.

It is a bit of a pet hate of me, that people say: were doing it without really thinking it through. In the beginning of 2003, there were 6 teams going. There was a plan to have 2 40 feet containers loaded up with 6 cars, and the whole thing would actually be quite affordable. The week before the ship was about to leave, there were me and Bucky left who were going. Then Bucky decided he couldnt make it, and yes there we were: me and my mate mark in our landy were going.

I do wonder whether all these people were ever really planning to go?

It is a big undertaking and I made the decission with christmas 2002, to go in november 2003. This gave me 10 months to organize it (I had to prepare the car as well). It happenned eventually, but in the end it was still the usual chaos (to get ready).

Still, It is by far the best thing I ever did, and all uk events put together quite frankly cant hold a candle to it, and as a result I can say: it was worth every penny.

Daan

Daan, Mate YES we would have gone! i took part in the Borneo safari event last year.... yes i was only with the recoverey team. I know the RFC event and i'd liked to have tried it! and i know we would not have turned it down if offered! But i would NOT pay to eneter the Borneo Safari as there is not enough comp driving time for me! but if people want a great adventure then they SHOULD GO as you will never forget the trip!!!

Adrian,my point was and is that if you want to do it, you have to plan for it to go as a priority. You can always compete in the tuff trophy event to win the free entry along the way, a 1k saving is worth having, but as history has shown you have to start preparing way before that and prepare to take the full financial hit because you can never count on what other people do.

Let me know if you decide to go.

Daan

The facts are that the Tuff trophy was held at the end of July and the RFC was at the beginning of December the same year which only gave whoever was going to go 4 months- 16 weeks to prepare a car to a good enough standard to compete in a high profile event, get together funds, as the prize was only for entry, and to ship the car there!!!

We had long discussions at the end of the event and when we returned with all parties concerned, including Adrain and Dan and every agreed that there just wasn't enough time!! We spoke to the organisers of the event and proposed that if he could postpone the entry to 2010 then we would bring the winning team + another 2 or 3 teams from the UK, fully paying. He replied saying that the prize had been put up because 2009 was a recession year and that is why they were trying to promote the event as entries were low. So we left it at that.

This is the facts and for those of you who don't agree you might want to have a little think!!!!

Lucy

The facts are that the Tuff trophy was held at the end of July and the RFC was at the beginning of December the same year which only gave whoever was going to go 4 months- 16 weeks to prepare a car to a good enough standard to compete in a high profile event, get together funds, as the prize was only for entry, and to ship the car there!!!

We had long discussions at the end of the event and when we returned with all parties concerned, including Adrain and Dan and every agreed that there just wasn't enough time!! We spoke to the organisers of the event and proposed that if he could postpone the entry to 2010 then we would bring the winning team + another 2 or 3 teams from the UK, fully paying. He replied saying that the prize had been put up because 2009 was a recession year and that is why they were trying to promote the event as entries were low. So we left it at that.

This is the facts and for those of you who don't agree you might want to have a little think!!!!

Lucy

Ok, always good to know the facts. As I stated before, the price is worth having and if you ever think of doing it, now is the time to start organizing to go in 2011. dont start thinking about it in july, because it gets very tight. Also bear in mind that the ship takes 3 weeks to travel from southampton docks to arrive in KL (if it ever gets there :unsure: ).

Daan

Lucy

i love facts they normally sort the chaff from the wheat :lol::lol::lol: