tyre and rim advice

pugwash

Know a chap selling a set of 5 36x12.5x16 ETs on Mach5s which i am thinking of buying.

Seem in good nick- some tread damage from offraoding but little actual wear- he is looking for £900 which seems perfectly reasonable to me- does anyone know different?

Only issue i have is with offset- these rims have a 4 1/2" offset, and he reckons this increases trackwidth on a 90 by 8"- does this sound right to you defender boys? These tryes will go on a rangie once i have cut the body up and put a lift on- but how much further will these wheels stick out than normal?

can't say as i know much about offsets and stuff so any advice is gratefully received!

Know a chap selling a set of 5 36x12.5x16 ETs on Mach5s which i am thinking of buying.

Seem in good nick- some tread damage from offraoding but little actual wear- he is looking for £900 which seems perfectly reasonable to me- does anyone know different?

Only issue i have is with offset- these rims have a 4 1/2" offset, and he reckons this increases trackwidth on a 90 by 8"- does this sound right to you defender boys? These tryes will go on a rangie once i have cut the body up and put a lift on- but how much further will these wheels stick out than normal?

can't say as i know much about offsets and stuff so any advice is gratefully received!

8ins - NO.

My Mach 5's are 4.25ins offset, the 8 spoke I had were 4.5ins (?), standard alloys are 5.5ins, standard LR steel rims I do not know, these measurments from rear face of centre boss (where it sits on axle hub) to inner edge of rim i.e. closest part to centre line of vehicle. The bigger the offset the smaller the track. With 4ins extra each side the tyres will sit outside of eyebrows! Make sure you know how he has measured offset. Mach 5's can be made to order with the off-set that you want, or they were some years ago when I bought mine.

i think i know of the person selling these , and have seen them on his landy (i think i have) last year at billing , i parked next to him , and they DO stick out , if i am thinking of the same person , then he had spacers between his body and spats , have a pic at home if intrusted let me know your email addy and i will try and send it to you tonight

Quoting John,

The offset values that have been quoted in the posts above are hard to believe! What definition for offset are you all using?

My understanding (and the only definition that makes sence to me) is that offset is the distance from the centre of the rim to the wheel mounting surface.

And backspace is the distance from the inside lip of the tyre bead seat to the wheel mounting surface.

Then an 8" wide rim with 4" backspace would have zero offset. A 7" rim with 4" backspace would have - 1/2" offset. A 10" rim with 4" backspace would have 1" offset.

--------------------

John

300TDi rangie

4BD1-T bushie

If these wheels really do have a 4 1/2" offset (which would leave the disc VERY exposed) then they would certoinaly increas the track and yes packing behind the flares would also be required so maybe that is what they are. If its backspace then they don't sound too unusual.