disco bike rack

wobbly bob

I went for the tow bar mounted option and bought a Pendle Discovery Rack for mine. If, like me, you have the backplate with multiple height fitment available, you can mount it higher than the tow ball/pin to give you a couple of extra inches clearance.

I've only ever had the trailer attached when carrying 2 bikes on it, though. It wasn't a problem, but I can't advise on carrying 4 with a trailer/caravan. Might be worth an ask at your local bike place. I went and tried it before I bought it, so was sure it was the right thing for us. It also means less load on the rear door, which has enough trouble holding it's own weight up without adding 4 bikes to it!!

The only down-side to this rack is that you can't open the rear door once it's on and loaded, so make sure you put anything you are going to need on the journey right behind the back seats so you can reach it without removing all the bikes...

HTH

Adrian

Hi all, just registered to the forum and was wondering if anyone could recommend a 2-4 bike rack suitable for fitment to the spare on the back of a disco 2. I tow a caravan so it will need to hold the bikes high enough not to fowl hitch/jockey wheel etc. :unsure:

This is the Simbar Discovery rack(modded to fit a 110).

MullSummer08001.jpg

I went for the tow bar mounted option and bought a Pendle Discovery Rack for mine. If, like me, you have the backplate with multiple height fitment available, you can mount it higher than the tow ball/pin to give you a couple of extra inches clearance.

I've only ever had the trailer attached when carrying 2 bikes on it, though. It wasn't a problem, but I can't advise on carrying 4 with a trailer/caravan. Might be worth an ask at your local bike place. I went and tried it before I bought it, so was sure it was the right thing for us. It also means less load on the rear door, which has enough trouble holding it's own weight up without adding 4 bikes to it!!

The only down-side to this rack is that you can't open the rear door once it's on and loaded, so make sure you put anything you are going to need on the journey right behind the back seats so you can reach it without removing all the bikes...

HTH

Adrian

Thanks, i've checked out Pendle bike racks and have gone for the spare wheel strap on rack, holds two bikes and the kids can get chucked in caravan (after they've cleaned them! :rolleyes:

Thanks, i've checked out Pendle bike racks and have gone for the spare wheel strap on rack, holds two bikes and the kids can get chucked in caravan (after they've cleaned them! :rolleyes:

Just be careful with the strap on racks, the straps can stretch over time.

After a few years you'll end up with bikes on the floor.

That's the reason I modded the Simbars rack, there was less chance of it falling off! :blink:

I'm with Orange - the towbar mounted type are much better. The hinges on a Discovery tailgate barely hold up the weight of the door and wheel, without hanging anything else off them! It does stop you opening the door, but then it would be wise to avoid opening it with all that extra weight on there anyway, for the sake of the hinges.