ID'ing a Landrover

I am going to look at a fairly tidy 110 for sale this weekend for a mate. I have seen the vehicle on the drive from the outside for about 5 minutes as the guy was out when we called which was annoying. I think it needs closer inspection, I want to make sure it is the vehicle it is advertised as.

It was described as a 110 Van which has had a new hardtop, on first look it has a newish 5 door station wagon complete new body inc bulkhead :blink: which has had a respray from green to white and maybe a 3 litre tdi engine??? :blink: Chassis looked to be mint which again warrants further inspection :rolleyes:

This link from tech archive didn't work (site gone?) http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1996

Things I am looking to confirm:

i.e range of numbers on chassis leg vehicle is registered on a H 90-91 (i'm pretty sure it is not a private plate)

I've asked to see the V5 and any other supporting evidence.

SALLDHAC etc which code is 90/91? DA? on seatbox and chassis

Axle no's for the year 22......?

Engine and gearbox numbers? if possible?

Anything else I should be looking for, and how many points it needs to be legit. I am worried if too much has been changed or butchered it wont be worth the paper it comes with. And following one members horror story could be made up of various bits, which then require an SVA or worse.

TIA, for any help or suggestions

Pete

OK

Start from the absolute basiscs here IMHO

IF you don't wnat ANY hassle with DVLA then the following must be 101% correct :

• GENUINE FACTORY Chassis Number MUST BE stamped on the Chassis Leg (Driver OS Front)
  • This MUST then match the Vin Plate on the LR exactly
  • AND both these matching number MUST match exactly the V5
  • and the registration Number on the LR must match the V5 :lol:
  • And the Colour on the V5 matches the LR
  • As does the engine number

If ANY of the above esp the 1st 4 don't - walk away (no actually run :lol:)

Last 2 are more "Hassle" than impossible

From what you have described if the 110 chassis is full length and hasn't been bobbed then your

not into SVA, and a "Bitsa" with unknown history and or no reciepts = run

HTH

Nige

Thanks Nige,

Chassis has not been bobbed but looks very rust free? unusual for a 90-91.

If whole body has been changed vin number will not match on seatox if correct location (on my ex-mil the vin plate is on seatbox)?

Engine was stated as a 3 litre tdi which I haven't seen or heard yet but I am thinking may be an isuzu or similar. Or maybe a case of someone not knowing what size engine they have :o

I guess the V5 will be the starting point.

Pete

Thanks Nige,

Chassis has not been bobbed but looks very rust free? unusual for a 90-91.

If whole body has been changed vin number will not match on seatox if correct location (on my ex-mil the vin plate is on seatbox)?

Engine was stated as a 3 litre tdi which I haven't seen or heard yet but I am thinking may be an isuzu or similar. Or maybe a case of someone not knowing what size engine they have :o

I guess the V5 will be the starting point.

Pete

I think they probably mean it's a 300Tdi.

A 90/91 vehicle would most likely have left the factory with the early 2.5 TD (engine number starts 19J) or possibly a 200 Tdi - (Engine number starts 11L).

Land Rover never made a 3.0litre Tdi - but in any case it sounds like the engine has been changed.

A 90/91 vehicle would have had the LT77 gearbox (reverse next to 1st).

Obviously all of the above can be changed, including the body style. The thing is, does the price reflect the work involved, and how much does the vendor know about the vehicle?

There are a lot of stolen vehicles out there, and as you probably know, it's very very easy to strip a Land Rover and swap bits around. The best advice has already been offered - if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is, so walk away. If it's bought and turns out to be a ringer, your mate will lose the vehicle and his money.

Put it another way - if it was your stolen Land Rover sat there, you'd want it back, wouldn't you....?

Matt

Thanks for all the replies so far

I'll have a fine tooth comb at the ready and let you know what the result is, I have the engine spec from my mate who may be confusing the 300tdi with 3 litre.

The few small errors started to add up in the back of my mind, I'm not writing it off yet but, will need to be 101% sure as HFH says.

I've walked away from a few "autotrader motors" in the past, although I am not sure where matey has seen this one advertised.

I won't buy anything dodge, as it won't be worth the hassle with my concience or the police.

Thanks for the vin plate locations, and fair point about the value of said vehicle, seems average (£3k 91 fair nic 5door sw) but will ask to see receipts etc.

Guess if the engine has been transplanted it should be obvious, couldn't see last weekend.

The other though is if the chassis has original mounts for a 300tdi its a definate non starter.

Pete

I am going to look at a fairly tidy 110 for sale this weekend for a mate. I have seen the vehicle on the drive from the outside for about 5 minutes as the guy was out when we called which was annoying. I think it needs closer inspection, I want to make sure it is the vehicle it is advertised as.

It was described as a 110 Van which has had a new hardtop, on first look it has a newish 5 door station wagon complete new body inc bulkhead :blink: which has had a respray from green to white and maybe a 3 litre tdi engine??? :blink: Chassis looked to be mint which again warrants further inspection :rolleyes:

This link from tech archive didn't work (site gone?) http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1996

Things I am looking to confirm:

i.e range of numbers on chassis leg vehicle is registered on a H 90-91 (i'm pretty sure it is not a private plate)

I've asked to see the V5 and any other supporting evidence.

SALLDHAC etc which code is 90/91? DA? on seatbox and chassis

Axle no's for the year 22......?

Engine and gearbox numbers? if possible?

Anything else I should be looking for, and how many points it needs to be legit. I am worried if too much has been changed or butchered it wont be worth the paper it comes with. And following one members horror story could be made up of various bits, which then require an SVA or worse.

TIA, for any help or suggestions

Pete

the VIN model year code is the last 2 letters immediatly before the 6 numbers [denoted by ***] which are the chassis serial number.

for example SALLDHMB7FA****** the F = 1989 model year A = Solihull LR factory UK.

get the full VIN from the subject vehicle & drop it in to Madcowz's VIN checker click here :D