Poor starting Disco

Typsey

M Reg 300Tdi 3 Door Discovery

Over the last couple of months the above disco has started to become a touch reluctant to start on a cold morning. She will start of the first time of asking but she cranks over a lot more than she used to.

Once she does, I can run her for a minute, turn her off and then she starts on the button straight away.

Any thoughts on possible culprits?

Many thanks.

Typsey

Jase,

Many thanks for the reply.

I haven't checked anything at the moment as to be honest I'm not sure what to look for so am after pointers for the moment. The battery was replaced not much before I got hold of her some 4 years ago.

I do use the glow plugs as I alway wait till the light is off before trying to crank her over. On a warm day that is usually straight away but since we got cold (late December time) she has started to struggle.

Typsey

have you checked your glow plugs are working properly/do you use them?

how old is your battery? i changed mine after about 5/6 ,possibly more since it was there when i bought the landy, of being discharged etc. the difference is noticable!

jase :)

no worries, im happy to help :)

im not sure how to test the glowplugs, since ive never done it before - but i think you can check the if the glowplug is duff by connecting a multimeter across the terminals, and seeing if there is a resistance value this is good, if the resistance value 0 then they are knackered.

aha! i found this with a bit of googling! - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=60725 - nowt to go with me btw

hope that all helps :)

My brother has a 96 300 Tdi .

Replaced the battery just before Christmas - but Disco would not start on frosty mornings .

Sent battery back and got another one .

Disco has started every morning since - even though temps were even lower .

I gave him the loan of a meter which plugged into cig lighter and he found that the battery he returned read 11.8/11.9 volts each morning . The replacement reads 12/12.1 v each morning .

Not much difference - but the difference between starting or not .

Jase,

Fantastic video.

Everyone else,

Thanks for the advice. Having watched the video above and checked out prices, I will be buy new glow plugs and then checking earthing straps on the other components of the starting system.

I will post back on here of results.

Many thanks again,

Typsey