Stripping chrome

Tonk

seem to recall when I got some bits chrome plated the peeps said they had to dip in acid (or other stuff) to remove the old chrome so my money would be on chemical.

ofcourse mechanical removal (wetndry/sand paper) would do it too - a dremel with a sanding wheel would be quite effective.

- should have said electo-chemical so ^^^^^ is right about electric. :rolleyes:

Grit blasting will remove it, or you could key it with wet/dry paper for painting. Maybe etch prime would do that same job.

Les. :)

Gritblasting can be hard work shifting chrome - it will remove it easily where it has bubbled, but you end up with a ragged edge where the chrome is still sticking. Grit blasting will roughen it up OK, but you may need a special primer if you want to paint it.

i'll go with grit balsting then powder coating, it can only fall off :rolleyes:

if you get a sanding disc on an angle grinder and "hard-key" it before the sand blasting, it should all come off then, anything left you should be able to remove with the sanding grinder before powder coat and all will be funky dudey :)

one of the problems they got with anodic remove is the platers hate doing it due to the risk of any impurities (weld flux, grease, dirt et cetera) getting into their bath and making a mess, have had a couple platers refuse to do any work until the items I had were spotless :(

i'll go with grit balsting then powder coating, it can only fall off :rolleyes:

I have tried blasting it. If you have rust bubbles you end up with an uneven surface, if you keep blasting the steel being softer disappears even faster (corroded areas are even softer than the original steel) and you end up with very big pits which have to be filled either with epoxy or built up by welding & grinding to get a decent finish back.

If you are going to paint it and it's not too complex a surface I would go over it with medium to fine sander, fill up the pits then prime with a good etch primer.

If you want to powder coat it the chrome has to come off entirely, my usual PC guy said he would do it if I insisted but would have to charge me extra for the additional blasting and would not guarantee the longevity of the results for more than a week.

Not trying to put you off, just passing on my own experiences, never dealt with electro chemical stripping of chrome.

As it happens a chromed scooter wheel came in for blasting yesterday. It was a very thin coat, not even on nickel and it just flew off, but I've had some in where it would just not shift.

Niall's remarks about pitting are so true! some stuff I've turned out looks more like a lunar landscape once all the rust has gone.