intercooler updrade, worth it?

Goober

35 is a large claim!

I have one and it is better but not that much.

PS If I were to buy again I'd use Brunel performance.

Sorry ment 35% increase in power. also the alli sport ones say it could take it upto about 160bhp with corect tuning. is it worth buying one of the intercoolers second hand as they are about £200? Where abouts did you fir yours, behind the radiator?

I brought a uprated intercooler off twisted.. i was told if i got a full size intercooler the turbo wouldn't be able to preaurise the air properly.. now i don't know if it true or no.. i got a standard size one but give a extra 15hp witch is enough for me bearing in mind i have tweaked the pump..

a few people have put a td5 standard intercooler on there 200-300Tdi's.. apparently they go like hell and.. keeps and EGT down that little bit more and its not to big that the turbo cannot pressurise it..

don't ask hey they have fitted them.. iv totally forgotten haha..

cheers Sam

Sorry ment 35% increase in power

And thats still a silly claim! 35% of the 111hp of a 300Tdi is 38.5 horse power, which is nonsense.

I have a full length Allisport fitted, and it is a very nice bit of kit. I certainly CAN feel a difference, but dont expect to have a completely transformed vehicle when you first drive it after fitting the I/C.

If you can afford one, then go for it (either go for an Allisport or Brunel IMHO) but dont expect mind-blowing transformations.

Go down the scrappy with a tape measure. You should be able to find something larger with the holes in roughly the right places, then use a little ingenuity to mount it. Total cost won't be more than about £30...

if i get a large one and plumbed it in, would i need to change anything else. or just do a straight swap even tho it is bigger. as someone has already said if i got a full size intercooler would the turbo be able to preasurise the air properly? i know somebody who selling an allard intercooler for about £170/£200. new ther about £370 i think. So would it be worth it?

The power increase of a large inter cooler is misleading because to get more power the fueling has to be altered.

leave your inter cooler alone and spend the time/money on making sure the fuel pump is set up to the optimum.

I have seen vehicles set up correctly without large inter coolers perform very well.

A inter cooler and fuel pump setup was fitted after wards and the difference was hardly noticeable.(performance increase none mpg 1-2mpg better).

Driving style would have given a larger difference.

bigger inter coolers are suited in my opinion to vehicles held at constant revs on high load for long periods of times(higher turbo temp) so possibly worth while if you are pulling a trailer along the motorway.

The power increase of a large inter cooler is misleading because to get more power the fueling has to be altered.

leave your inter cooler alone and spend the time/money on making sure the fuel pump is set up to the optimum.

I have seen vehicles set up correctly without large inter coolers perform very well.

A inter cooler and fuel pump setup was fitted after wards and the difference was hardly noticeable.(performance increase none mpg 1-2mpg better).

Driving style would have given a larger difference.

bigger inter coolers are suited in my opinion to vehicles held at constant revs on high load for long periods of times(higher turbo temp) so possibly worth while if you are pulling a trailer along the motorway.

Hi, thanks its made me think twise about it now. I read a thread about the toyota supra intercooler fitted and then the fuel pump tweaked. luckily i hav two fuel pumps. so do you think i should just tweak the fuel pump? i just wanted to get abit more power out of it thats all, but thought tweaking the fuel pump, if done wrong will ruin my engine. so i wondered if i could just add parts without changing how one works if you know what i mean.

My garage tweaked both my turbo & fueling before I fitted the intercooler, which was a noticeable difference & does not cost a lot to do if you arent confident doing the job yourself.

When I DID fit the larger I/C, the fuelling was re-adjusted accordingly (Allisport give instructions for optimal fuel settings for their intercoolers.)

I think if I had done all the jobs at the same time, the difference would have been a lot more noticeable.

Personally, I dont like/trust getting random parts from other vehicles & adapting them to fit a Land Rover; I prefer getting bespoke equipment. I guess at the end of the day, and if your good with tools & stuff, it makes no difference, but I am just funny like that and would rather spend a bit more money on something fit for purpose.

At the end of the day, if you can afford a new intercooler, then do it. Adjust turbo & fuelling at the same time for the most noticeable difference.

If you just did turbo & fuel now, you will still want an I/C anyway, and end up getting one down the line & you would feel more disappointed when you discover the power gains arent that mind-blowing.

HTH

Martin

rather than waste money on a new intercooler - buy an EGT gauge and tweak your fuelling and boost pressure with the standard i/c until you reach a safe working egt limit. If the power gained still isnt enough, then buy a better i/c and tweak again.

also depends on your driving style. If you are towing heavy loads up and down the motorway, then egt figures will dominate your thoughts and you should be quite conservative on peak temps as it will be running at these temps for sustained periods. If its an offroad toy and will rarely see full throttle, full boost, full loads for significant lengths of time - then you can get away with much higher fuelling and boost without worrying too much about egt.

rather than waste money on a new intercooler - buy an EGT gauge and tweak your fuelling and boost pressure with the standard i/c until you reach a safe working egt limit. If the power gained still isnt enough, then buy a better i/c and tweak again.

also depends on your driving style. If you are towing heavy loads up and down the motorway, then egt figures will dominate your thoughts and you should be quite conservative on peak temps as it will be running at these temps for sustained periods. If its an offroad toy and will rarely see full throttle, full boost, full loads for significant lengths of time - then you can get away with much higher fuelling and boost without worrying too much about egt.

Hi thanks. i hardly ever toe so its just normal road use and occasional offroad. wot is egt? and how to you fit the gauges. is the fuel and boost pressure tweaked on the fuel pump? I think il give the intercooler a miss for now then. I like the idea of also buildin a defender for road use with lowered suspencion and more power. i saw one in land rover magazine, not alot of ppl liked the idea but i did, it was a change from all the off road mods and changing it to on road.

oh ok. i want to blank the egr off. i found on ebay for about £18 a blanking kit including a rubber hose and plates. did u make the bit that goes in the plate or can u buy it like that? and where do u get one of those dials?