changing gearbox oil

I recently changed the oil in my gearbox (LT77) using ATF (can't get MTF94 here), I followed the Haynes advice to remove the drain plug of the extension housing and cleaning the filter that is behind that plug about 1 pint (sorry still imperial here) of oil came out of the extension housing. Refitted the plugs and refilled with Texaco ATF. Immediately I thought the box sounded more noisey in all gears and so I checked the oil level but it was OK.

Today on a relatively long trip I could not get the box to stay in 5th (it went in OK but would jump out after 15-30 seconds) then 2nd 3rd became very noisey and so I limped home using 4th as much as possible.

Whilst the box was still hot I drained the oil from the main box (looked fine) and from the extension housing. To my suprise when I loosened the extension plug housing less than a tea cup of very dark smelly oil came out.

So now I am thinking that somehow when I refilled the box I didn't manage to get oil into the extension housing. Is this possible and how do I get oil in there?

Thanks Lars and Western. Call me what ever you want but last night I was tired and hungry and p#*sed off that the truck was not right. This morning a quick look under and I had replenished the oil levels (which were low and that also needs investigating) and I was back on the road. It's suprising what a couple of beers and a sleep can do to your karma!

I will keep my open for the MTF94 Belize is a funny place sometimes obscur things are for sale at the oddest locations so you have to carry a mental shopping list of "things that you need if you happen to come across them".

I will keep my open for the MTF94 Belize is a funny place sometimes obscur things are for sale at the oddest locations so you have to carry a mental shopping list of "things that you need if you happen to come across them".

There are other options.

Have a look here, some others would be suitable.

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/MTF.htm

Thanks Lars and Western. Call me what ever you want but last night I was tired and hungry and p#*sed off that the truck was not right. This morning a quick look under and I had replenished the oil levels (which were low and that also needs investigating) and I was back on the road. It's suprising what a couple of beers and a sleep can do to your karma!

Are you near Belize Airport or the City. I used to live on the the camp and was eventually sent to Salamanca near San Antonio on the Guatamala border. The view of approaching Belize airport was terrific with all the palms. Then only to be confronted with 100% humidity and the bellowing cries of Moonies from the RAF base. While trying to grasp for air on an Batty's bus service to the billets quarter via the busted sewage pipes. Ah heady days :lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I loved every minute.

I live in the south of the country about 2 hrs drive from Belize City. The sewage system is better than it used to be but we still have the 100% humidity some days of the year. Airport Camp at the International Airport is still there although it is staffed by The Belize Defence Force with a smaller unit of British personnel permanently stationed for training purposes only.

The south is the less developed part of the country. The highways are paved but most of the feeder roads are bumpy dirt roads which can get quite wet during the rainy season. My Defender is the best vehicle for the roads around here (IMHO) although long trips to Belize Cty etc can be a bit tiring.

I live in the south of the country about 2 hrs drive from Belize City. The sewage system is better than it used to be but we still have the 100% humidity some days of the year. Airport Camp at the International Airport is still there although it is staffed by The Belize Defence Force with a smaller unit of British personnel permanently stationed for training purposes only.

The south is the less developed part of the country. The highways are paved but most of the feeder roads are bumpy dirt roads which can get quite wet during the rainy season. My Defender is the best vehicle for the roads around here (IMHO) although long trips to Belize Cty etc can be a bit tiring.

Are yes those bumpy roads :rolleyes: Going from Salamanca to Ridou near Punta Gorda. Best time was when the chaps in the scimitars trundle by in the dry season and flatten those ruts :P :P :P :P What fun :lol:

Redline MTL is the dog's doodads when it comes to the LT77 or the R380. Better changes, no graunching, lasts forever.

It works better because (believe it or not) it has a lower coefficient of friction than the other oils of any type. It is less slippery so allows the synchro cones to do their job better and faster.

And being synthetic it does not degrade with temperature or age.

Bloody expensive but you only need 2.5 litres = 3 US quart bottles.