rear lights

ally

this could be a daft question but am i right in thinking that the lights on the bumper of my discovery are the running lights and the ones on the rear quarter are brake and fogs? both of the bulb holders on the bumper are broken so i cant tell.

cheers Ally

Not always that simple - depends on what year it was made or what day of the week it was registered - my 300 has the 4 tail light set-up, but the guy down the road with a 300 from the same year hasnt......... It was always a bone of contention when inspecting the fleet trucks in NI - we had lots of similarily aged Discos - all 300's and they were 70/30 4 tail lights to 2.......

Correct. I assume its a 300tdi. Most people upgrade by changing the upper lights for those off a 200tdi. A worthwhile and relatively simple job that increases the visibility of your rear :P

And some 300 discos not only tdi's but V8's it depends on the year ie. 1996 and 97 model year.

this could be a daft question but am i right in thinking that the lights on the bumper of my discovery are the running lights and the ones on the rear quarter are brake and fogs? both of the bulb holders on the bumper are broken so i cant tell.

cheers Ally

Hi Ally

Depends on the disco you have. :unsure: Rear lights from the top Stop/tail, indicators, reverse and at the bottom fog. Bumper lamps, tail and indicators.

Some models of disco don't have the top indicator ie. a 1998 while the 1997 does.

It's a good idear to put the model/year of your disco in your posts.

<_< Ok if you Disco was made on a Friday afternoon in Dec. 1997 and by some strange, scrub that, and by no strange reason as its a Landrover it has no indicators on the top lights. May i be so bold as to suggest that it is a simple, and in my hummble opinion,worth while job to change them for some that do off another Disco from what ever day/month/year (easy just to say 200tdi) :ph34r:

If you are unsure about the current light set up can you not just look at the lamps ( a bulb is something you plant in the garden!) to see whether they are 5/21w etc?

<_< Ok if you Disco was made on a Friday afternoon in Dec. 1997 and by some strange, scrub that, and by no strange reason as its a Landrover it has no indicators on the top lights. May i be so bold as to suggest that it is a simple, and in my hummble opinion,worth while job to change them for some that do off another Disco from what ever day/month/year (easy just to say 200tdi) :ph34r:

If you are unsure about the current light set up can you not just look at the lamps ( a bulb is something you plant in the garden!) to see whether they are 5/21w etc?

If your disco was made in December 1997 that would make it a 1998 year model and will have a few extras that the 97 model didn't have.... ie. a high level brake light and may be headlamp leveling and the big 'Boost' alloy wheels.

post-5809-1233995817_thumb.jpg

well i got my disco today and its a 98 model year as it has the high level stop lamp and the black boost alloys

mine has 4 stop/tail lights but only 2 indicators in the bumper???

is it a plug and play job of just changing the rear upper lamps or will i need to run wires to the lamps too?

rob

Hi Rob I understand from previous posts and other disco forums that the wiring is all there, so just a matter of you getting hold of the four bulb light units. And it's P&P as u say. :D

thats just what i wanted to hear thanks chap

that was the assumption i had also made so its nice to have a second opinion on these things lol

rob

I'm sorry tuko I should have given you the credit for the picture that I copied. :)

i raised the original post and to date stgill have not done the job -

it was not just plug in and go - my loom does not match or prewired.

i was lucky the 200 tdi lights i bought had the plug still conected.

i now have to cut into wires and add connectors - not too keen on this

so i am waiting for one of the units to pack up and then i will change them.

Big john

I'm sorry tuko I should have given you the credit for the picture that I copied. :)

Don't worry about it, like I wrote "that right hand in the picture that teabag attached looked familiar" ;)

BigJohn,

what year is your Disco? I know of several Disco's that have done this conversion here in Sweden and it was simply P&P.

Makes me wonder if the home market wiring differs?

Todd.

i raised the original post and to date stgill have not done the job -

it was not just plug in and go - my loom does not match or prewired.

i was lucky the 200 tdi lights i bought had the plug still conected.

i now have to cut into wires and add connectors - not too keen on this

so i am waiting for one of the units to pack up and then i will change them.

Big john

May be it's just the later disco's that are plug and play. I have seen mentioned that sometimes a single wire is required to link the bumper indicator with the indicator of the replacement lamp.

May be it's just the later disco's that are plug and play. I have seen mentioned that sometimes a single wire is required to link the bumper indicator with the indicator of the replacement lamp.

mine is 1994 300 tdi 3 door.

i am short of a wire for brake lights and indicator.

Big John

........................... In the Haynes manual it is claimed ......................

Stop reading comic books ^^^^^ :D

The answer is in the owner's handbook - "Owner maintenance" > "Bulb replacement". If you don't have it then get a copy from http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com

It's also in the workshop manual.

Unfold the seats and remove the access panel/cover is all you have you to do to access the rear lights cluster.

Stop reading comic books ^^^^^ :D

The answer is in the owner's handbook - "Owner maintenance" > "Bulb replacement". If you don't have it then get a copy from http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com

It's also in the workshop manual.

Unfold the seats and remove the access panel/cover is all you have you to do to access the rear lights cluster.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Comic books!

That was funny!

.....A philips screw driver is all you will need.

Todd.

..........and funnily shaped arms to get to the clamps that hold the lamp unit in place - its a pig to get to them with the dickie seats in................

Or have your 13 year old handy, so that he can undo those retaining wingnuts or what ever they call them. ;)

Yupp, the top ones are a pain.

Todd.