Do i need a specific boss for my steering wheel?

Goober

Hi i found a steering wheel i wanted and found out i have a 36 spline on my defender. I have a Momo steering wheel, do i need a specific boss or can i just get one from a landrover dealer?

I still dont quite understand how it works. So if you could help me out that would be great.

Also i found on ebay a Universal Chrome Steering Wheel Quick Release, so i can take the steering wheel off, making it alot safer as no one can drive off in a defender with no steering wheel :lol: what do people think of these, iv seen more expensive ones for around £80. here is a link for the one on ebay if you want to take alook. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-CHROME-Ste...%3A1|240%3A1318 if i got one i think id rather get the more expensive one. they fit inbetween the boss and steering wheel. B)

I have nearly modified my defender thanks to all the help on this forum :D

Your steering wheel needs a boss kit to suit the defender splines. The boss kit also needs to match your momo s/wheel.

So a boss kit with 36splines, and there are 6 srews on the front of the steering wheel . where can i get these boss's from, a landrover shop such ask paddocks etc? cheers

Paddocks, craddocks, Halfords, Demon tweeks, etc etc. Most car accessory shops will be able to get them. A Mountney wheel boss also fits and is more common. Make sure you tell them it is 36 spline. Should be around the £40 mark IIRC. Be aware that it will position wheel closer to your body as boss is quite thick.

Paddocks, craddocks, Halfords, Demon tweeks, etc etc. Most car accessory shops will be able to get them. A Mountney wheel boss also fits and is more common. Make sure you tell them it is 36 spline. Should be around the £40 mark IIRC. Be aware that it will position wheel closer to your body as boss is quite thick.

Thanks, so do all steering wheels have the same fitment to attatch to the top of the boss? and its just the bottom of the boss that is different where the splines fit?

Not sure about all, but certainly a lot of them do, or have multiple wheel fixing holes to allow for different patterns.

Worth doing a search on the tech archive on here. But Mountney bosses (which I think you will find is what most shops will supply) definately fit Momo wheels - mine certainly does!

If you can't get hold of them, I'll try and get out tomorrow with the measuring tape.

Hi,

Any chance of a pic of boss?

How high is adapter? (ie how far does it bring wheel to your body).

What sort of quality is boss. I bought one from JC pn MB115. It was a steel fram with a plastic disc on bottom covered in a yucky plastic sleeve.

Unfortunately this fits my steering column but the pcd only fits Mountney large mounts not MOMO little ones.(assume pcd 70).

The MOMO ones for cars look very tidy.

Whas type steering wheel did you have fitted? 4spoke, soft foam?

Cheers.

Just put a Momo Marine (same pattern as the Corse I think - but plastic instead of leather) on with a Bearmach boss (BA 3201 - mine's a 48-spline / 19mm)

post-4308-1234650935_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1234651323_thumb.jpg

The boss is cast a bit rough but is nice and solid. It is 'double drilled' as someone else posted, not sure what the other PCD is or what wheels it's for. It comes with nice countersunk fittings and a plated finishing ring (which I was not able to use with this wheel).

Only snag so far is the supplied centre cap fits the supplied marine boss (2in) but not the Bearmach boss (2-1/8in - same dia as the actual hole in the wheel). I will probably just pick up a 2-1/8in blanking plug.