Temp Gauge Problems...

McS

Took the tomcat out for quite a long drive yesterday to see that everything was bedding in nicely (and because its really good fun!).

I noticed about half an hour into the journey that the temp guage still hadnt come up to the centre position as it normally does in my 90 (they're both Td5's). Now the heater was blowing warm air, the engine was running fine and the EGT gauge was giving normal readings (as per the 90). I continued to watch the gauge and to my amazement it actually dropped a couple of times. All the way through the journey (about 90mins) it never got past the 45degree point.

When I got back, I checked all the wiring and connections (the vehicle's only been together about 6 weeks) and they were all fine.

Now, it was quite cold and wet yesterday and the vehicle is running a large Intercooler (the same one I run in the 90) but I wouldn't expect the engine to not reach temperature.... ;)

Anyone any ideas??? :unsure:

Cheers,

McS

to clarify, it is engine water temperatur gauge?. and is it fitted to block before the thermostat or to radiator after themostat?

Did you feel the radiator? And how hot was it? Do you have faciliry to measure the temperature?

Do you know if the gauge and temp. sensor are matched?

If you let the engine idle, does the electric fan (if fitted kick in>?) What is max. temp reached when stationary?

Guest diesel_jim

Ross.

you could try swapping the guage with the one on your 90 to eliminate that, also the sender unit itself on the engine.

is the back of the dash windproof? sometimes (i've heard) a draught blowing through the back of the dash can make the guages mis-read. a long shot i know, but maybe a last resort :huh:

is the back of the dash windproof? sometimes (i've heard) a draught blowing through the back of the dash can make the guages mis-read. a long shot i know, but maybe a last resort :huh:

ah, the penny drops, you wouldn't be driving with a window or sunroof open would you? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys.... I'll try to answer all the questions....

1. Yes, we're talking water temp here

2. The window/sunroof etc were shut (it was freezing!)

3. I've used a complete Td5 instrument pack - everything is fitted just as OE

4. The radiator is front-mounted in its normal position

5. No, I didn't feel the radiator - might have been a good idea ;) , but the heater was working well...

6. Yes, the backof the dash is all sealed in

That shed anymore light on things?

Jim - I may well swap the guages etc over tonight and see if it makes a difference...

If an engine is running cool, is there an issue? :huh:

Cheers,

Ross

As the heater is fine...

I wonder???

What temperature thermostat is fitted??

Have you tried earthing the wire at the sender unit to see if the gauge reads maximum??

Did you take the complete wiring loom from a TD5??

I eat rat poison.They didn't change my dosage last Friday !!

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Thanks for the replies guys.... I'll try to answer all the questions....

1. Yes, we're talking water temp here

2. The window/sunroof etc were shut (it was freezing!)

3. I've used a complete Td5 instrument pack - everything is fitted just as OE

4. The radiator is front-mounted in its normal position

5. No, I didn't feel the radiator - might have been a good idea ;) , but the heater was working well...

6. Yes, the backof the dash is all sealed in

That shed anymore light on things?

Jim - I may well swap the guages etc over tonight and see if it makes a difference...

If an engine is running cool, is there an issue? :huh:

Cheers,

Ross

OK well the particular issue I am aware of is that if you fit a gauge into a Td5 with a Tdi instrument pack harness, the gauge reads too cold. No idea why, all the plugs are the same, it just does (harness has different part no, though I don't know what the actual differences are). The reverse is also true; fit an instrument pack built with a Td5 harness in a 300Tdi (the new sort - like mine with the Td5 instrument pack electronic speedo etc) and the gauge says it is over heating (but it isn't).

If the gauge in your other Td5 is working, I suggest try swapping the whole instrument pack (not just the gauge) over including the harnesses clipped to the back of the pack. If that cures it, that is your problem, if it doesn't, it may be something else in the loom that is causing a similar effect (but as I don't know what actually caused the problem I can't help with that).

OK, next update...

measured the temp at the radiator of both vehicles after a similar drive (the 90's temp guage was reading slightly higher) and they were in 13 degrees of each other....

took the tomcat out last nite and ragged it silly round the off road track - the temp guage definetly rose more but still not to the 90 degree point.

So, it looks like the engine is just running cool at the moment (current weather etc) - I dont forsee that being a problem really...?

Ross

I agree with you; doesn't seeem to be a problem; especialy in the current arctic climate. Going on what has been posted about diesels before, they do seem to run a lot cooler.

If you want overheating probs, fit a V8, go on you know you want to ..... :rolleyes:

OK, next update...

measured the temp at the radiator of both vehicles after a similar drive (the 90's temp guage was reading slightly higher) and they were in 13 degrees of each other....

took the tomcat out last nite and ragged it silly round the off road track - the temp guage definetly rose more but still not to the 90 degree point.

So, it looks like the engine is just running cool at the moment (current weather etc) - I dont forsee that being a problem really...?

Ross

Ross I've just fitted a SPA-UK water temperature gauge to my 300Tdi.

Ok I haven't had it far.just a 50 mile run.

The gauge sits at 84/86deg C once it has warmed up.

I expect it to read the same on hot weather??

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!