SCOR Comp Safari 1st March @ Tidworth

daveturnbull

The first SCOR comp safari of 2009 is now less than a week away.

Sunday 1st March at Sidbury Hill, Tidworth, Wilts.

Ariel view of site - click here

You can join and race on the same day. Scrutineering opens 9am. First car off the line 10am.

Spectators are welcome but please don't drive anywhere other than on the perimiter track. If you'd like to help out Marshaling then drop me a PM.

Had a great day today after being goaded into racing by various people :rolleyes:

Thanks very much as ever for all who set up and also to the recovery team for bringing Steve and Gareth back after they rolled the freshly re-panelled Tomcat!!

Good day - maybe a touch too many laps :unsure:

Anyone got any pics?

Jules

Too many laps!?!?! You big girl...

Definitely a great start to the season. 25 entries (I think), loads of good racing and plenty to keep us marshals busy. We had 3 roll overs and several other dead cars to recover. Don't think any competitors managed to get stuck tho, which makes a change! First overall was Pete Barrett, despite doing most of his first lap with only 3 wheels, and the rest of the day with a broken half shaft, and a wheel bearing that is way past just knackered.

I got a couple of pics, mostly of what went wrong as stationary cars are easier to snap with a uselesly slow digital camera :blink:

Setting out day - Mr Scott deciding that his new range rover was too shiny, driving into some slop and getting firmly stuck.

post-904-1235942009_thumb.jpg

Race day - The first roll of the day, back on it's wheels.

post-904-1235942024_thumb.jpg

The second roll, on possibly the flattest bit of the site.

post-904-1235942038_thumb.jpg

post-904-1235942052_thumb.jpg

The third, and most impressive roll. The output shaft snapped off his steering box just as he turned in to come down the hill.

Me lining up to winch the car back onto its wheels.

post-904-1235942068_thumb.jpg

Gav picking it up to get back to the pits.

post-904-1235942081_thumb.jpg

Too many laps!?!?! You big girl...

post-904-1235942068_thumb.jpg

Gav picking it up to get back to the pits.

:P

Some chap told Jim it had been reduced to eight laps so he was gutted when he found out that was not the case. I had a small bush fail on the rear hockey stick on lap seven and the twenty minuets it would take to change it, would mean I couldn't finish so we knocked it on the head as we'd had a very good day up until then and saw no point in struggling

That was a nasty place to sheer your steering box how many times did he roll down the hill, Steve didn't say.

Its all reparable but the two snapped rear fox shocks gives him a reason to upgrade. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Gutted i couldn't make it!

Racer is still in lots of bits tucked in corner of the workshop, got work coming out of my ears! just not had the time to do it!

Chassis on my tow car snapped in France at the end of last year as well so thats not helped!

Wonder how many people have taken out a small morgage to go Race with the all wales driving club this weekend!

Gutted i couldn't make it!

Racer is still in lots of bits tucked in corner of the workshop, got work coming out of my ears! just not had the time to do it!

Chassis on my tow car snapped in France at the end of last year as well so thats not helped!

Wonder how many people have taken out a small morgage to go Race with the all wales driving club this weekend!

Rob,

You've only got a few weeks til the next one at Broxhead (19 Apr) so best get putting it all back together!

I can't believe AWDC have put the entry up to £110 - it's definitely doing us a favour tho - probably had an extra 10 cars at sidbury because of it.

Dave

I can't believe AWDC have put the entry up to £110 - it's definitely doing us a favour tho - probably had an extra 10 cars at sidbury because of it.

Dave

By coincidence a regular AWDC racer popped in to see me yesterday, we were both thinking we would race at Minehead with SCOR rather than the AWDC if you are going. What events have you got planned for later in the year?

My visitors other comment was that he would rather use up his part worn diamonds than buy more MT tyres to race with the AWDC. So bear in mind it's not just the entry fee, it's the tyres attracting entries.

By coincidence a regular AWDC racer popped in to see me yesterday, we were both thinking we would race at Minehead with SCOR rather than the AWDC if you are going. What events have you got planned for later in the year?

My visitors other comment was that he would rather use up his part worn diamonds than buy more MT tyres to race with the AWDC. So bear in mind it's not just the entry fee, it's the tyres attracting entries.

Steve,

We're at minehead on 28th June this year. I'll dig out a full calendar and get it posted for you. Others include Broxhead, Hogmoor, Slab, Long Valley, Tidworth and possibly a new site near portsmouth.

Cheers,

Dave

Tell me about it Dave!

I'm just finishing the range rover i use for towing so i can do the Triangle Vert on the 29th, then i have some time booked off work to try and sort the racer out! got a very big list and a few seized bits from the last time i was at Tidworth!

Just looked on the All wales driving club, seems that it was a doubly expensive day out on the New tyre regs, with people retireing as they'd run out of expensive tyres! doh!