TD5 90 front side lights.

T1G UP

When i got my td5 the headlights lit dimly on side lights and the side light lamps also shone as normal.

I asumed at the time that the headlights i have fitted were wired up and used the side light bulb to light the headlight. When i switched the lights on to side there was a click from a relay from in the cab. Never thought about it TBH just assumed it was part of the 90's running.

BUT after i removed the ecu and cleaned the loom etc the clicking has stopped and i have no dimly lit headlamps. The easy answer would be to wire up the side bulbs that are in the headlights but i assume they had been turned on by the dealer at the request of the previous owner. Is there anyone else who's td5 has this function enabled?

Going to check the fuses etc tomorrow but the headlights worked as side lights when i picked it up from NOR and the side lights were not fitted due to the extreme wings. Guess you can do this from the nanocom via the OBD....

thoughts please.

The ECU has no function in the lighting controls of a Defender so Nanocom won't be any help here, the lights are simply fed from fused switched supplies.

There are two 30 amp fuses in the fusebox next to the ECU, one for the sidelights and the other for the headlights, then there are some 10 amp fuses in the passenger compartment fusebox (above the gearbox tunnel) where the left and right side lamps are fused individually.

There may also be a dim-dip relay and resistor which supplies a reduced power to the dipped beam headlights when the sidelights and ignition are turned on, I'm not sure which versions have this, mine (a 2001 CSW) doesn't but my Sons 2004 van does?

So I guess a fuse check will be the first priority here.

The ECU has no function in the lighting controls of a Defender so Nanocom won't be any help here, the lights are simply fed from fused switched supplies.

There are two 30 amp fuses in the fusebox next to the ECU, one for the sidelights and the other for the headlights, then there are some 10 amp fuses in the passenger compartment fusebox (above the gearbox tunnel) where the left and right side lamps are fused individually.

There may also be a dim-dip relay and resistor which supplies a reduced power to the dipped beam headlights when the sidelights and ignition are turned on, I'm not sure which versions have this, mine (a 2001 CSW) doesn't but my Sons 2004 van does?

So I guess a fuse check will be the first priority here.

many thanks.

Would this resistor be a 2" gold coloured thing thats bolted to the drivers side wing by the m/cyl? found it today, the wire has come off. got a pic.

post-908-1235509000_thumb.jpg

Whats this?

on vehicles between certain years [iIRC from mid 1989, not sure of the revoke date] vehicles were required to have dimdip headlights to make them more visible in built up areas [town centres] to pedestrians in a attempt to slow the pedestrian/vehicle accident rate, sometime after the dimdip requirement was revoked, yours would fall into the 'fitted with dimdip' as does my '89 110, earlier system used a voltage transfomer & the later system used a replaceable resistor & a control relay, yours has just got old & wet & the wire has corroded off, as dimdip is no longer required, you can just ignore it or fit a new resistor, if you don't fix it, the vehicle will still pass the MOT provided the normal dip/main & side lights work as normal.

a new resistor is LR part XBL10003L later version here

on vehicles between certain years [iIRC from mid 1989, not sure of the revoke date] vehicles were required to have dimdip headlights to make them more visible in built up areas [town centres] to pedestrians in a attempt to slow the pedestrian/vehicle accident rate, sometime after the dimdip requirement was revoked, yours would fall into the 'fitted with dimdip' as does my '89 110, earlier system used a voltage transfomer & the later system used a replaceable resistor & a control relay, yours has just got old & wet & the wire has corroded off, as dimdip is no longer required, you can just ignore it or fit a new resistor, if you don't fix it, the vehicle will still pass the MOT provided the normal dip/main & side lights work as normal.

a new resistor is LR part XBL10003L later version here

Western, thanks. My 90's a 99/00 model...poverty spec?

Would like it to work as i now have no front side lights fitted due to the wings. Like i said i have the option of wiring up the headlights but i'll fix my dimdip.