Suspension

Boro

Im looking to replace the shocks, springs and suspension bushes on my 1995 300 tdi, i already have all new genuine landrover bushes ready to fit as well as the springs, just wanted to ask whether theres anything wrong with fitting new genuine landrover shocks or whether there is a better alternative whilst on a budget? i will be maintaining standard ride height

Well, there was a guy on ebay selling off a load of new genuine landrover parts some time ago, i bought a fair few bits from him and along with all the suspension bushes 4 new shocks was part of it, just after reading other threads on here and xxx aftermarket being recommended i started to wonder whether theres a reason not to use genuine unless it was cost

Well, there was a guy on ebay selling off a load of new genuine landrover parts some time ago, i bought a fair few bits from him and along with all the suspension bushes 4 new shocks was part of it, just after reading other threads on here and xxx aftermarket being recommended i started to wonder whether theres a reason not to use genuine unless it was cost

Only reason to go non-stock is to gain something over stock, but it'll be at the cost of something else as a rule. Also if you plan on different shocks it would make more sense to look at an overall package.

Just depends what you want from the vehicle.

I remember a time when it was the thing to fit Bilstiens (sp?), they do make it handle different on the road (more level, better turn in maybe), but they also ride worse and have more drastic manners when you go past the limits.

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than start a new topic im going to drag this one back up, front shocks where fitted, went to fit the rears today and then realised that the new genuine shocks i was supplied where for pre 1994 vehicles, so looks as though im going to have to buy some shocks anyway, for a mainly road biased vehicle what are the recommendations please, it does go off road most weekends but never anything too serious, rough bumpy tracks, green lanes etc so as long as its good on road and adequate off road i dont mind, any thoughts on bilstein gas shocks?

Mmm you'll get some handling issues with swanky gas kit on the back and OEM on the front - I have new Terra-Firma's on the rear and they really show up how bad the ProComps are on the front - I get citroen saxo levels of understeer if I push it hard into bends! But as long as you're ready for it and drive it to suit, shouldn't be a problem.........

I will be replacing the fronts as sadly these too are wrong for the vehicle, if it where not for that i would probably just buy another pair of oe shocks for the rear but as i have to buy all 4 i may as well get something decent, anything that makes it handle better is a good thing as i like to drive quickly round bends

Anyone recommend some good gas shocks then? and a good place to buy would be great too, cheers

Paddocks are always a good starting point. I seem to remember that Armstrong make the oe shocks, only £10 each! If you opt for monroe/decarbon at about £100 per set I would be very surprised if you could tell the difference from standard.