disco wont start???

PITBULL

I went out this morning to start it up but nothing battery got plenty of charge in it all i get is a click from behind the glove box. now i not the starter motor is in that area on the engine but don't think the click is coming from the starter motor though but as I'm the only one home ATM i cant be sure as i can only stand in arms reach of the the door any ideas ?????

forgot to say 300tdi why-o-why did i get rid of my 200 <_<

lights dont dim when turning the key windows work fine well turning the key too

where is the solenoid for the starter ???

dont think its a bad earth as nuffin draining the power when trying to start

and what and where would a corroded fusable link be ???

thanks

lights dont dim when turning the key windows work fine well turning the key too

where is the solenoid for the starter ???

dont think its a bad earth as nuffin draining the power when trying to start

and what and where would a corroded fusable link be ???

thanks

A bad earth won't cause a power drain, quite the opposite. The power going to the starter won't drain back to the battery. Check the earth leads and make sure that the connections are secure and not corroded.

It may be worth checking the battery. On my Dad's 300tdi the battery was fine for everything but due to an internal fault/damage/age it couldn't deliver the starting current.

Immobiliser spider?

It's a classic symptom....

Before you go any further though, check if you are getting +12v to the starter. Remove the air hose to the turbo inlet, pull off the spade connector on the starter solenoid (red and white cable I think...) and see if there is 12v on it when the key is turned. Either use a multimeter, or a test light of some sort.

If no 12v, then my best guess is the spider, but again, worth checking fuses and other obvious problems before pulling the dash to bits.

If there is 12v, then clout the starter with LR special tool number 1. Should free it up - if not, new starter time ;)

Check the Definitive Alarm Spider Post in the tech archive

just read the 1st line and realised this shouldnt affect me as mine is a 94 which just had a key till i had a aftermarket alarm fitted

thanks anyway