Steering Damper advice please

When doing road driving on road my steering is light and pulls the car about. For example a small pot hole will completely throw the van. or a reasonably small puddle will also drag the van into it. Whilst a small amount is expected, mine gets nearly out of control.

I've had a look and the joints seem reasonable. The ball's have no leaks so the pre-loads must be reasonable.

My next stage is the steering damper.

When i looked at these there are loads to choose from priced anywhere between £10 and about £40. Which one do i get ??

Do you think i'm looking at the right part or could it be shocks ?

How do i test both ??

TA

<_< I am suspecting the pre-load!! Check the Swivel pin (Upper and lower)Adjust with shims to get the pre-load to 7.2kg.. I might be wrong . Or a combination of that and the steering damper.This is just a suggestion. Maybe better gurus will turn up soon!! ^_^

<_< I am suspecting the pre-load!! Check the Swivel pin (Upper and lower)Adjust with shims to get the pre-load to 7.2kg.. I might be wrong . Or a combination of that and the steering damper.This is just a suggestion. Maybe better gurus will turn up soon!! ^_^

top pin and bush and bottom bearings on both sides have b een replaced recently in the search for this problem.

I'm presuming i set the preloads properly.

<_< When preloads are not properly torqued, they turn to judder.. I did mine recently and had to torque it to remove the judder!! Still waiting for the gurus.. Les or someone will definitely turn up.. Keep fingers crossed :huh:

post-7610-1236933732_thumb.jpg

And regarding steering damper, just buy a standard one. Cheap and well up to its job if you don't run massive tyres. ;)

Tyres are 235/85/16 so larger than standard but same as most td5's.

I've not got any kind of juddering.

When turning a corner it feels like the wheels are toeing in drastically so you kind of turn the wheel and the car turns then it kind of gets carried away and carry's on trying to turn. They aren't toeing in though and tyre wear is perfect.

Have you checked the bushes in the rear? Could be rear wheel steering caused by worn bushes, especially those up front in the trailing arms. Also check the three bolts on each side that hold the bush in place. A guy in Norway (wobble hd on here) had this problem with his 90 and it turned out that the bolts were M8 when the proper size is M10...

last time my 90 did that was after i replaced all the track rods and drop arm ball joint.

i did the tracking using the piece of string method - but because i have a lift the panhard rod pulls the front axle out of alignment - and my trackign was therefore out using the string.

felt quite twitchy over bumps and as you say above, tends to want to turn in hard once you begin the turn.

got the tracking sorted at a proper garage, they said it was not far out - but enough to upset the handling. ISTR he said it has more effect on the steering with the wheels pointing slightly in instead of slightly out.

• 2 weeks later...
When doing road driving on road my steering is light and pulls the car about. For example a small pot hole will completely throw the van. or a reasonably small puddle will also drag the van into it. Whilst a small amount is expected, mine gets nearly out of control.

I've had a look and the joints seem reasonable. The ball's have no leaks so the pre-loads must be reasonable.

My next stage is the steering damper.

When i looked at these there are loads to choose from priced anywhere between £10 and about £40. Which one do i get ??

Do you think i'm looking at the right part or could it be shocks ?

How do i test both ??

TA

Got an armstrong steering damper from paddocks in the end. Was only a few quid and wow what a difference.

My original was still damping but nowhere near as much as the new one.

Thanx to all that replied.