The right tool for the job is not a bungee!

sgnas

I was building a Bivvy, a right beauty with a properly thatched roof and even an earth oven :D I was building an extension to the frame work. I needed to cut a notch into the piece already there... I was using a bow saw. i decided to cut the notch with my hand above! needless to say i slipped and cut my left had back to the bone under the little finger knuckle. That bled like anything!

I tend to be the unfortunate party in accidents, not the one with a good scare to show, but the sober/resposible/foolish volantier driver that spends several hours in hospital because the injured person isn't fit to drive and for my troubles I don't even get a nice scare to show.

The last good scare I got could have been a lot worse. I got a friction burn running from my left armpit to under my chin where the plastic handle of the angle grinder caught me. A classic case of jamming the grinder as the matal is nearly cut through and twists, pinching the disc. If the disc can't cut down then 2.6 kilowatts of angle grinder can accelerate upwards very quickly. It managed to wreck the grinders gearbox in the process. The grinders uppercut to the chin nearly knocked me for six as well. 4 years on and the line of the friction burn its still visible.

Previous to that I have a good scare on my scalp from when sibblings and I (age ~ 5) built forts in the garden and attcked each others forts with house bricks as they were the nearest projectiles to hand. I made the foolish mistake of going into nomans land to collect ammunition while my brother was still armed. Some say this incident explains a lot.

Is it just me or is there someting grimmly satisfying about scars.

The worst stupid accident I've come across of was someone at work tried standing on a roller bed to reach something. Predicatably they slipped and landed straddling one of the rollers in a very uncomfortable position. By the sound if it they had managed to properly FUBAR themself in the process :blink:

Hope you get back to full health soon.

During my engineering apprenticeship I was happily working on one of the lathes and a colleague in front of me on another machine,

He was cutting a nice internal screw thread and was touting it's perfection,

While the machine was still turning he decided to check it with his finger, :rolleyes:

Needless to say that it "was" a very good screw thread and it did exactly what it was meant to do, and screwed his finger in, Ripping it off at the knuckle :o:o

NOT a nice sight but it is a lesson that teaches you VERY quickly to respect machinery to the highest order!!!

Lara

So, now wear goggles for milling and lathing too, bear the above in mind,

if you also do this sort of work for your hobby and don't wear goggles....

I guess here I was very very very lucky :(

I needed to do a bit of turning of a thing that was way too big to fit in my lathe - solution - cobble the lathe chuck into the quill of my mill. Then hold the lathe tool in the vice and move the table around as if it were a lathe. Thankfully it looked very frightening spinning at 3000 rpm - so I kept a good distance, well, as far as you can and still turn the handles.

Unfortunately, my cobbled chuck adaptor un-cobbled itself and this 10 kg jaggy chuck/frizbee came flying out of the mill. Missed me (just) and hit the garage door 20 feet away leaving a large dent!

I decided it was a f***wit idea - and got a grown-up with a bigger lathe to make it instead!

I also, like nigel, got a little bit of swarf from the lathe in my eye. I thought about digging it out with a needle? but that was a bit too S&M even for me - then it struck me that I had one of those half-shaft removal tool thingies. I hovered the magnet as close to my eye as I could - then heard this tiny 'plink' noise as the splinter was pulled off the eye on to the magnet. Felt much better - carried on turning - with the guards closed this time!

Si

I also, like nigel, got a little bit of swarf from the lathe in my eye. I thought about digging it out with a needle? but that was a bit too S&M even for me - then it struck me that I had one of those half-shaft removal tool thingies. I hovered the magnet as close to my eye as I could - then heard this tiny 'plink' noise as the splinter was pulled off the eye on to the magnet. Felt much better - carried on turning - with the guards closed this time!

Ouch