My Ifor Williams Trailer

Ian M

got a little problem with it, its a 3.5t beavertail

last year when i bought it the damper in the tow hitch was totaly shot so i replaced it and all has been fine since.

recently though,

when lightly braking you get the sensionation that the brakes are pulsing (ie on,off,on,off) and you can feel it through the car,

also when braking with no weight on the brakes seem to lock very easily,

anyone ever had anything like this?

Ian

got a little problem with it, its a 3.5t beavertail

last year when i bought it the damper in the tow hitch was totaly shot so i replaced it and all has been fine since.

recently though,

when lightly braking you get the sensionation that the brakes are pulsing (ie on,off,on,off) and you can feel it through the car,

also when braking with no weight on the brakes seem to lock very easily,

anyone ever had anything like this?

Ian

That sounds a bit like the problem I had after replacing a Joiner in the cable on my trailer (not an Ifor though). On mine I solved the pulsing by reducing the slack before the brakes start to operate. I think the cause was the Landy slowing substantially more that the trailer (when loaded) and in effect running into the back then the trailers brake suddenly coming on hard. It was most noticeable when just easing off the throttle when going downhill, the harder I braked the less it was noticable. I think I now have about 1cm of movement before the brake start to apply compared with about 2.5 before.

The brakes locking when unladen still happens now but bu no means as bad. It's worst when the road is slightly bumpy, I get the impression that the suspension is just way over-damped when unladen.

Colin.

it sounds like you have slack in the brake cables....i.e. the trailer pushes into the tow truck taking up the slack, then it starts to break....

adjust the drums / cables, and your problem should hopefully be sorted.

Gordon