Wiring up a electric Fan with switch and X-eng thermo

Hi,

I'm busy working out how to connect my electric fan to the X-eng thermostat I just bought.

I need to be able to switch the whole circus On and Off with a single switch on the dash (not Carling type, just a simple On/Off switch) and will only be using the lowest temperature-side of the thermostat.

But I would like to keep the amount of wires from and to the battery and engine bay to a minimum.

Would this be a safe way to hook it all up ?:

X-engFan.jpg

This way (I think) I only need to pull a fused wire from the battery, through a switch in the dash, towards the engine bay.

Relay and Thermostat (obviously....) are clustered together in the engine bay.

Thanks

Edwin

So none of the circuit diagrams to do exactly that in the fitting instructions floated your boat then? :huh:

....Ahhmmm no :rolleyes: because all the different setups shown in the fitting instructions, need me to pull at least a wire from battery to the engine bay, another wire from the Thermostat (in the engine bay) back to the dashboard and from there back again to the engine bay.........

I know I know.....perfectly good instructions supplied with the thermostat and still not happy :D

....Ahhmmm no :rolleyes: because all the different setups shown in the fitting instructions, need me to pull at least a wire from battery to the engine bay, another wire from the Thermostat (in the engine bay) back to the dashboard and from there back again to the engine bay.........

I know I know.....perfectly good instructions supplied with the thermostat and still not happy :D

Hi Smokeydiesel

The diagram you posted looks like it'll work, except you'll be pulling the full fan load through the on/off switch - fine if it's rated, but not ideal. It'd be better to take a light wire from the battery to switch, onto X-eng thermoswitch then onto the relay. Then run a heavier wire from battery direct to relay, then onto the fan (all appropriately fused of course - the switch & thermoswitch feed could be piggybacked off an existing circuit due to the relays extremely low loading). The negative can always be found in the engine bay.

Just my thoughts

Dennis

You only need take one wire to the switch - the ground wire from the relay coil. You can take that to a switch and the other side to the nearest ground (EG bodywork) behind the dash. It's low current (less than 0.5A) so almost any switch and wire will do. I wouldn't fancy running a leccy fan through a switch even if it was a rated 25A one as switches tend to get unreliable when worked near their current limit, and it'd be a lot of thick wire to run about the place.

• 12 years later...

Following on this topic, I have one of the X eng fans, and a old peugot twin fan arrangement that appears to shift a decent bit of air!

With the twin fan, when the hi temp is activated on the x-eng sensor will both fans come on(1 linked to ultra hot and 1 to hot) 

I.e, lower temp setting 1 fan... higher temp both fans?