Wiring diagram boffin help please

Kev Baldwin

All singing and dancing electronic dipping rear view mirror on my 96 D1 has died a death. Gooey stuff coming out of button and glass gone cloudy.

Now being a poncy, lazy git, I actually like the auto-dipping thingy, so I got myself a bargain D2 auto-dipping mirror of eBay which for the record, at least according to my local independent parts guy, is actually the part Land Rover now lists as the replacement part for the older switchable D1 mirror.

Sure enough, D2 mirror clips straight onto my windscreen bracket and looks like it belongs, however, the wiring colour codes on the mirrors are different.

Both mirrors have three wires.

D1 mirror has black, white, grey

D2 mirror as black, green/white, green/red.

I've tested the wires and only the white wire is live with the ignition, so my question is, presuming its black to black, can anyone tell me which way round I should connect the two other wires? Will it make a difference? If the later mirror supersedes the earlier part number, it must work somehow?

For the record. New price of replacement dipping rear view mirror £130! eBay price £40.

Cheers

Kev

Found this in my RAVE cd's for Disco 2

connector number C0698 [pin 1 on the right]

pin 1 light green/white tracer

pin 2 black --- earth

pin 3 green/brown tracer

in the Disco 1 [300TDI & V8]

connector number C334

pin 1 power [diagram shows LGO = light green/ orange tracer from facia fusebox

pin 2 to earth

pin 3 to connector C277 & splice S433

diagrams added :D

Disco 1.

File0006.jpg

Disco 2.

c0698.jpg

Edited by western

On the DII the Green/White is the 12v feed from the Ignition, thus matches the White in the D1.

On the DII the Green/Brown is the 12v feed from the gearbox reverse switch, thus 12v when reverse is selected. I haven't checked, but assume the ignition has to be on, but the engine can be off (not running), to enable the 12v supply to the gearbox switch.

Thus I expect the Green/Red to attach to the Grey wire in your D1. Just check that Grey wire is 12v live when reverse is selected.

As a matter of interest, the wiring diagram I have for a '96 D1 shows the wire colours as :

Black (Eth),

Light Green / Orange (12v feed via the Ignition switch), and

Green / Brown, 12v feed from the reverse switch.

You will realise from all this that the Auto dimming is a function of the optics within the mirror. The electrical bit is to 'restore' good vision when you select reverse.

HTH.

I see Western and myself have got similar results, so you should be able to sort it one way or the other.

All singing and dancing electronic dipping rear view mirror on my 96 D1 has died a death.

SNIP

Sure enough, D2 mirror clips straight onto my windscreen bracket and looks like it belongs, however, the wiring colour codes on the mirrors are different.

Both mirrors have three wires.

D1 mirror has black, white, grey

D2 mirror as black, green/white, green/red.

I've tested the wires and only the white wire is live with the ignition, so my question is, presuming its black to black, can anyone tell me which way round I should connect the two other wires? Will it make a difference? If the later mirror supersedes the earlier part number, it must work somehow?

For the record. New price of replacement dipping rear view mirror £130! eBay price £40.

Cheers

Kev

David, Western.

Thanks for taking the time out to suss this one out for me. You are stars the both of you. :)

When i had the test light on, I tried various combinations of buttons, lights etc to try figure what the third wire did. Never even crossed my mind that Land Rover could be so intelligent as to engineer the mirror to revert to its normal un-dimmed state when selecting reverse!

One for the tech archive?

Many thanks.

Kev

"took ages to find that info on the RAVE cd's "

Yes.

The D1 was fairly easy, once the correct year was selected, as the mirror has a seperate entry in the Index.

The DII however ... Electrical Diagrams, not Electrical Library. Then Interior Lamps in the Index

And Lo, the Interior Mirror.

Marvellous. Just testing, of course.

• 5 years later...

I need to swap my interior mirrors over from our "old" R reg Disco to our "new" S reg one as the mirror in the new one is all smeary inside. Came across this thread in a search, and the wiring info may be helpful thanks, but I can't get the mirror head off the windscreen bracket, I've tried gentle force but don't want to do any damage - any ideas?

Incidentally they are both 1998 cars, one January and one August registered, but the shape of the mirrors are slightly different.

Thanks, Henry.