Auto box starter/inhibiter

88 Nick

My challenge truck (V8) has an irritating habit of stalling when shifting between 1st and reverse or park and drive etc,Im thinking of disconecting the wiring wich enables it to start only in park or neutral, will starting it in gear cause damage or problems to the box?

Also at ALRC events I've noticed scrutineers check this has'nt ben done,hav'nt noticed the same at challenges though so is it ok?

My challenge truck (V8) has an irritating habit of stalling when shifting between 1st and reverse or park and drive etc,Im thinking of disconecting the wiring wich enables it to start only in park or neutral, will starting it in gear cause damage or problems to the box?

Also at ALRC events I've noticed scrutineers check this has'nt ben done,hav'nt noticed the same at challenges though so is it ok?

Hi Nick,

It is a safety requirement, so I would leave the inhibit switch alone and fix the stalling fault if I were in your shoes.

Regards,

Diff

It's a safety feature and there for a very good reason.

Fix the tickover.

Steve

Is the safty factor relevent to an off road only vehicle? I have played around with tick over/base idle,its a problem i've come across a few times,especialy on tuned V8's it only happens intermitently,usualy when its hot.

The safety requirement is there for a very good reason, it's too easy to lean in through the window and start the engine up, if you've left it in drive or reverse it will then set off on it's own.

It is simple enough to disable but as others have said it's far better to sort out the idle in the first place

Is it Rover EFI? Then look at the idle stepper motor...

I'd leave it in place TBH, if anything it's MORE important on an off road vehicle as you're more likely to want the engine running when out of the truck.

The safety requirement is there for a very good reason, it's too easy to lean in through the window and start the engine up, if you've left it in drive or reverse it will then set off on it's own.

But wouldn't that be no different to just leaving a manual in gear anyway? Similar hazard as those running manual gearboxes surely? :blink:

But wouldn't that be no different to just leaving a manual in gear anyway? Similar hazard as those running manual gearboxes surely? :blink:

That is why drivers are drilled to declutch the engine while starting. On a auto gearbox your only means to do that is to put it in P or N.

A manual won't accelerate and is likely to stall, an auto left to it's own devices is more than capable of accelerating to quite a high speed as it will change up the gears as it gains speed.

A manual is far more likely to stall and you know straight away it's in gear as you start to crank the engine whereas with an auto it won't move until the engine is already running.

An alternative to the start inhibitor, if you prefer, is to use a brake interlock so the engine will crank over in any gear but only if you have your foot on the brake. If you wanted to you could actually combine the two by using a relay powered off the brake lights that overrides the inhibitor when the brake lights are on.

It is simple enough to disable but as others have said it's far better to sort out the idle in the first place

Fair point,I recon I'll take that advise, :)