Fluffy carpets

geoffbeaumont

What years (UK spec) of RR classic had the deep pile 'teddy bear' carpets?

If it's any use Geoff, my 1990 and my mate's 1991 both have similar carpet to my old 1980 Rangey!

Perhaps it was dependant on spec rather than model year?

Why not ask somone like BLRS or Exmoor Trim. They always seem helpful types at the shows.

Trevor at Nationwide trim is the guy I would recommend, has done them all and always helpful even if you are not buying.

Errm... I was thinking more along the lines of getting a set of second hand carpets and sticking them in myself, seeing as between the wet front footwells and changing the boot floor most of it's got to come out anyway.

The older carpets look to be a different layout/pattern - more bits, for starters - although that might just be that I don't know what my current ones look like out of the truck! I'm guessing they should still fit reasonably easily, as long as they're from a 100" four door?

Trying to work out if any of the carpet sets MM4x4 are selling are deep pile.
Errm... I was thinking more along the lines of getting a set of second hand carpets

You said you were putting your hand in your pocket you tight git ;)

Seriously I just meant he might be able to give you an answer, especially in the same accent :P

According to the book "Range Rover - The First Generation".

Up to '79, you had to the option of bronze brushed nylon upholstery.

In 1980, this was changed to bronze brushed velour.

In 1984 it was changed to a bronze check, and silver check for Vogue models

In 1985 it was changed to "bracken" trim

In 1989 up to 1994 the trim was changed to a lateral stitch (whatever that is?)

There's not much detail on the carpets, only thing I can find is that carpet was not added to the rear wheel arches until 1980.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to ask what they've got. I'm not going to do anything about it until I do the boot floor now - I started pulling the front apart and discovered the soundproofing (which is what I really need to get out) goes right up behind the dash. Getting it out would require removing a good deal of the dash, so it isn't going to happen... Lot's of newspaper underneath for the next few weeks I guess...hopefully that'll eventually dry it out. :huh:

Looks like the actual carpet isn't too difficult to remove - might have to dismantle some of the dash centre, but nothing major - so I might still do it.

You've got the manual for the job! :D

The seats up to 89 I think have vertical stitching (so it looks striped) and then onwards they changed to lateral pattern stitch so it looked horizontally striped. Might be wrong..... :blink:

Geoff,

When I soaked the soundproofing for the first time I cut it out - two straight cuts along the front and transmission tunnel edges and the floor bit comes out. A third cut up the join of the transmission tunnel and the front of the footwell and that bit comes out too.

You now have four bits (two from each side) that you can easily dry. If the remainder is wet then prop it away from the metal and leave a small fan heater in there overnight.

Because the soundproofing is a foam backed piece of thick rubber, when you put the pieces back in, the thick rubber locates itself against its neighbour nicely.

With the carpet and floor mat over the top you'll never know you had chopped it about.

Hope that makes sence....... :huh:

The seats up to 89 I think have vertical stitching (so it looks striped) and then onwards they changed to lateral pattern stitch so it looked horizontally striped. Might be wrong..... :blink:

It's not the seats I'm after - I've got a nice set of leather ones already :)

When I soaked the soundproofing for the first time I cut it out - two straight cuts along the front and transmission tunnel edges and the floor bit comes out. A third cut up the join of the transmission tunnel and the front of the footwell and that bit comes out too.

You now have four bits (two from each side) that you can easily dry. If the remainder is wet then prop it away from the metal and leave a small fan heater in there overnight.

I'll bear that in mind if I get it a bit damp in there again. Maybe that should be when, taking Land Rover door seals into consideration...

Newspaper underneath seams to be doing the trick - I reckon a few more days changing the paper every day so see it nice and dry under there again, so I won't hack it up this time.