Disco 2.5 TD into a RR 3.9Efi Rolling Chassis

Geminidawn

I have a hybrid Series 2a Ambulance with a 3.9Efi RR Vogue rolling chassis and engine. As it can be seen in previous threads the Efi caused me no end of trouble. I have recently been offered a 2.5 TD Disco engine and gearbox.

What am I getting myself into?

I have a hybrid Series 2a Ambulance with a 3.9Efi RR Vogue rolling chassis and engine. As it can be seen in previous threads the Efi caused me no end of trouble. I have recently been offered a 2.5 TD Disco engine and gearbox.

What am I getting myself into?

More pooh.. as steve_d says fix the Efi it will be cheaper.

Suspect it would be a whole lot easier to fix the EFI.

Well it hasn't been so far. As this is suppose to be an everyday mobile workshop the 3.9Efi has proved less than reliable. I have a much smaller diesel doing all the work all year round while the LR is mostly parked up waiting for repairs or parts, which have to be imported from the UK for that model engine. At the same time every garage around here has a few Discos out back and there is no end of spares at hand.

Futhermore there's the running cost. A 3.9 may be fine for a weekend off roading but for everyday use it can prove costly, sure I can convert it to gas but gas here is almost at the same price as petrol.

At least with diesel there is the "bio" option.

At least with diesel there is the "bio" option.

Just don't factor that in when you calculate whether it's worth doing - depending on the quality of local supplies and time of year you may or may not find it worth running on bio. Do a bit of searching on here and you'll find out how much peoples' experience varies - I found it ran worse and gave worse fuel economy but still worked out cheaper - then I got a dodgy batch and by the time I'd sorted that out I'd wiped out my savings from the entire time I was running on it...

Just don't factor that in when you calculate whether it's worth doing - depending on the quality of local supplies and time of year you may or may not find it worth running on bio. Do a bit of searching on here and you'll find out how much peoples' experience varies - I found it ran worse and gave worse fuel economy but still worked out cheaper - then I got a dodgy batch and by the time I'd sorted that out I'd wiped out my savings from the entire time I was running on it...

Cheers Geoff, around here you cannot buy bio diesel you have to make it yourself, so if I do cock up on poor quality product I really have no one else to blame but myself. Either way that chapter is a long way off my main concern right now is how easy the transition would be.