still got oil leak

hi all, getting rather fed up now,oil leak at first thought it was sump gasket by bellhousing, removed sump cleaned everything up,let oil drain out of engine over night without the sump tray being on, oil seeping down face of bellhousing not from drain plug hole thou, as changed rear crank oil seal earlier,cleaned oil off bellhousing again left for an hour or so, oil back again, the landy is facing down hill at this point so i would have thought the front of engine would be the lowest point, put new gasket back on and is still leaking, wondering is there a seal between engine block and belhousing that could be leaking,used torque 18nm on sump studs, any help on this would be gratfully received :angry: thanks wayne

sounds like the rear crank oil seal is gone, did you use a genuine one when you changed it?

Only gonna be the crank seal if its actually coming out of the drain hole i would have thought?

Is the top of the flywheel housing covered in oil? i.e. is your leak higher up? I posted on here last week about a similar issue and Les and Ralph replied to suggest that the small semicircular seal at the back of the rocker cover may be leaking and/or the rocker cover. I had oil dripping from the bottom of the flywheel housing that was escaping from much higher up. Now changed the seals and hopefully solved the issue.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=41503

Only gonna be the crank seal if its actually coming out of the drain hole i would have thought?

Is the top of the flywheel housing covered in oil? i.e. is your leak higher up? I posted on here last week about a similar issue and Les and Ralph replied to suggest that the small semicircular seal at the back of the rocker cover may be leaking and/or the rocker cover. I had oil dripping from the bottom of the flywheel housing that was escaping from much higher up. Now changed the seals and hopefully solved the issue.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=41503

hi, reb78, if i take sump off again, could i tell by looking at gasket if it's being leaking, if so what would i be looking for ? any suggestions welcome. cheer's wayne

hi, reb78, if i take sump off again, could i tell by looking at gasket if it's being leaking, if so what would i be looking for ? any suggestions welcome. cheer's wayne

I don;t think you need to remove the sump again yet. Follow the trail of oil up the engine. Does it come from higher up above the sump was what i was asking really? It could be leaking well above the sump and then pooling in that area before dripping down the flywheel housing. What engine are we talking about? (my reply above was about a 200tdi). A lot of people are using liquid gaskets now i think and a combination of that and a proper gasket often ensures that the a replaced gasket is not at fault.

I don;t think you need to remove the sump again yet. Follow the trail of oil up the engine. Does it come from higher up above the sump was what i was asking really? It could be leaking well above the sump and then pooling in that area before dripping down the flywheel housing. What engine are we talking about? (my reply above was about a 200tdi). A lot of people are using liquid gaskets now i think and a combination of that and a proper gasket often ensures that the a replaced gasket is not at fault.

hi reb, sorry for late reply, engine is 200td, as stated in one reply oil is not coming out of drain plug hole only down the face of bellhousing, had my hand down back of engine and found dirty grease oily substance, i think it is coming from back of engine,cleaned bellhousing off again didn't use landy 4 or 5 hours still clean no soon as i used landy oil leak, now have to find leak. cheer's wayne :(

could be the rocker cover seal is slightly damaged or been nipped by the cover & now leaking. IIRC there's a semi circle seal in the cylinder head right under the rocker cover seal could be the culprit too.

It was the semicircular seals on mine. They should be stuck in with a little liquid gasket but they were loose. This was combined with the fact that i could undo the back rocker cover bolt with my fingers!