loss of drive in auto

plank22

Go the auto in my hybrid and all running after the recent oil pump breakage, so yeterday i was most pleased when a little test drive worked sweet with all the gears and kickdown working fine. untill i acctually wanted to used if today and i got to the end of the road and lost all drive. the only symptom i can give is that if you switch off for 5-10mins then you will get drive in all gears ok but can only drive for about 100m then all the drive has gone again. any ideas? whats the symptons of a broken torque converter? thanks in advance!

When you checked the oil level did you check it with the engine ticking over, in neutral, after cycling it through all the gears ?

yep ran it up to temp flicked trough all the gears pausing at each one then checkin the level in neutral.

I would not expect this to be a torque converter problem - they don't have any moving parts as such and tend to either work (create drive) or not.

It might be a blocked filter causing the pump to run dry resulting in lack of drive

I would not expect this to be a torque converter problem - they don't have any moving parts as such and tend to either work (create drive) or not.

It might be a blocked filter causing the pump to run dry resulting in lack of drive

humm that was my first port of call and upon lookin the filter had lots of small bits in it but not what i would call "blocked"

Suggest you change the filter.

Looking in the LR manual many loss of drive issues are listed as low fluid level (which you've ruled out) or blocked/partially blocked filter.

Just wonder if the 'lots of small bits' points to problems in the box. If you look on Ashcrofts site in the FAQ it does talk about problems caused by internal debris.

Suggest you change the filter.

Looking in the LR manual many loss of drive issues are listed as low fluid level (which you've ruled out) or blocked/partially blocked filter.

Just wonder if the 'lots of small bits' points to problems in the box. If you look on Ashcrofts site in the FAQ it does talk about problems caused by internal debris.

ok will order up a filter tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks.

I would not expect this to be a torque converter problem - they don't have any moving parts as such

I don't get that. There are only three components in a torque converter, if you ignore the fluid, and (most of the time) two of them are moving relative to the other one.