best split charge system

A lot depends what you are using the vehicle for.....There's sopme good information here...http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=374001.0

You will have to spend some time reading it though.

HTH

mike

Jason,

There is no definitive answer to this question IMHO.

As Mike says, it depends on what you want out of your set-up. If you simply want a starter battery and something that wont draw loads of power - say light up a few auxillary lights for example; then you can get away with a very simple system indeed.

Connect a couple of batteries together with a bit of cable, introduce a HD isolator switch in the loop, and your away. Simply put, one battery will start the vehicle, the other powers everything else. If you run one battery flat, flip the switch, and you can effectively jump start yourself from your other battery.

Very simple system, downside being that you cant monitor individual battery performance. If both go flat, you wont know till its too late.

If you want a dedicated, bona-fide split-charge set-up, then I would personally recommend something from National Luna. These guys do expedition quality gear (arguably the South Africans are the world leaders in expedition equipment.)

You can fit an "Intelligent Solenoid" in between the 2 batteries that directs & re-directs charging/current etc as and when and where it is needed, without putting unnecessary strain on your alternator. This set-up can be monitored in-dash by means of a visual LED display for each battery - which I think can be set up for 1, 2 or 3 battery systems.

As for batteries, that is a bit of a can or worms! There will be those that swear by Optima, and others that wont touch them. Some people will just say cram the biggest things you can fit in there.

Personally, I would go for Odyssey batteries. Not cheap, but brilliant stuff.

I use the National Luna equipment in my expedition vehicle, and I am driving from London to Cape Town shortly, and its the only stuff I would trust in that environment.

If you wanted a system geared more to winching, the above still applies, but I cant give you any more specific info on that side of things.

HTH

Martin

These are reputed to be very good http://www.traxide.com.au/DBS.html and the man is a Land Rover nut too.

I have one of these http://piranhaoffroad.com.au/index.php/def.../dbe150s-m.html fitted over seven years ago (branded as a TJM unit, it was cheaper at the time) and they also make these http://piranhaoffroad.com.au/index.php/def...e180s-plus.html

Hi all thanks for replys I am thinking in the lines of national Luna any ideas of cost will I need a battery tray for my 90 how do you strap the second battery down is this in the kit or is there hidden extras in doing this

You can get a tray from Devon 4x4 for around £45. They look nice & shiny, but you could knock one up yourself for a fraction of that cost. Second battery is "strapped down" just like the first.

Odyssey batteries (if thats the route you choose) are about £200 each.

You can get National Luna stuff from a couple of places in the UK. Its not expensive really. Try APB Trading.

DEVON 4x4

APB Trading

Martin

We lost two days in Botswana a few years ago. A friend with a National Lunar split charge system had problems with it. It isn't in any way bush repairable. After searching Gabarone for a compentent electrician we left him to catch up with us later. Not a compay I would use. Yes I've been round the National Lunar factory.

mike

I was not happy with my National Luna split charge system (I was not confident that it was doing what it was supposed to do), so moved on to a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) from BEP Marine, which has been faultless so far.

I can use my winch with both batteries through the VSR which has the ability to carry high amps for short periods.

I would also recommend XEng's X-Charge a simple but very effective system that is not expensive.

X-Eng offer a forum discount too, along with a no quibble guarantee and excellent service.

Simon who owns the business is a member on here.

This subject has been discussed on here at length before, so I suggest you do a search of the forum for some additional reading and advice!

John

I'd go for a VSR from BEP marine, as used in fire trucks, ambulances, etc...

If you put a isolator switch in parallel with it you can over-ride it and link both batteries together for winching/emergency jump start..

I had this set up in my old defender and it worked brilliantly.

I too have a national luna split charge system, I find it has been ok generally but after reading the comments above about problems I have one to share.

If the vehicle is left for a week or longer then the batteries seem to gradually go flat. This happens gradually and in day to day use is no real problem, my solution is to isolate both batteries if left for any time, with a couple of isolator switches.

I now realise though this is only necessary due to the electronics in the national luna unit draining the battery to the point the alarm goes off on the meter, the drain then increases as the led's light and the buzzer is going off every few minutes.

The current drain is in the order of 70-100mA.

I will probably ditch it and buy a VSR BEP marine as highlighted above. ;) thanks for the info.

after a brief search, JG Technologies are distributors and do a 500A version 720? not sure if this is correct part no though.

http://www.jgtech.com/switches.htm

all which would be cheaper than the £140 odd I paid out for the national luna kit. :o

Pete

The problem I had with the national luna -

"I now realise though this is only necessary due to the electronics in the national luna unit draining the battery to the point the alarm goes off on the meter, the drain then increases as the led's light and the buzzer is going off every few minutes."

If I left the vehicle for a couple of weeks it would drain the batteries.

After 3-4 weeks of no use the battery voltage is down to 12.3 volts with the VSR system, with both batteries isolated, so loads of starting power still.

I bought my VSR from Merlin Powerstore in Poole here - http://www.power-store.com/index.asp

who offer a wide range of electronics suitable for boats, which are very compatible for Land Rovers encountering testing situations.

Their VSR's are listed here - http://www.power-store.com/?id=196

However I suggest you phone up and discuss your requirements as the list is not correct vs 12/24 volt options and prices (as I just did to check)

John