spot light wiring

dicsosfa

hello to one and all :)

(1) i have just installed 4 x 55 watt spots to my 1994 300 tdi disco and i have had mixed answers as to what i need ie. wire size what fuse/relay ratings as i want them to come on with mainbeam but have a switch to turn them off on the dash

(2) does anyone know the part numbers for a on/off switch suitable for the spotlight (maybe with warning light on it) that would fit in the spaces under the clock as there is room for 3 or 4 as i want to use landrover ones

any help will be welcome Roy :)

spots are around 15 amps, well for my ones they are, and for headlights so i assume its for all spots

mine is just wired straight to my headlights, however in my old 110 they were wired to a 3 point switch, one setting for off completely, one setting for on with the headlights and 1 setting for on without the headlights

however if you look on t'interweb you should find the appropriate diagrams. i used one for a new mini, its the same principal

mikey

hi :)

thanks for the info, just wondering i want to use proper connectors so which should i use and what amp rating have seen different one's at the motor shop

ie spade/bullet and a piggy back spade one rated @15amps or can i just solder the joints

many thanks Roy

Watts (bulb 55 or 100) divided by Volts (12) = AMPS

So

55 / 12 = 4.5A per lamp (2 lamps = 9 Amps, 4 lamps = 18 Amps)

*100 / 12 = 8.3A per lamp (2 lamps = 16.6 Amps, 4 lamps = 33.2 Amps)

Your wire, fuses, Relays etc will need to cover these amperages.

*100W bulbs are not road legal.

12vswitchedrelayonoffon.th.jpg

(Click image then click it again to supersize it)

thanks karlo

so i take it the in line fuse @20 amps is ok and will connectors of 15 amps be ok

Roy

I wouldn't forsee a problem, I have updated with a diagram I used for mine courtesy of a chap called Evilgoat from another forum.

blue connectors are 15 amps, and scotch locks are good for piggybacking, as they are made for the job. i have bullet connectors on the lights and spades everywhere else to the relay etc.

mikey

hi to all :)

lights now done and appear to be ok, the method i used was to run an earth to the lamps fixing bolts on each one,then run a positive from each lamp to the inner wing near the battery to a 15 amp block connector then linked all 4 together and then a wire to the 30 amp relay(which has a built in 30 amp blade fuse) earthed relay to the inner wing and connected the relay to the main beam feed on one side and as i said they work ok but looking at the spots head on the one nearest the battery seems a bit brighter or maybe its just me.

again thanks to all that gave me info as always just great people

Roy.

it may be that it is at a slightly different height angle to the other, try moving up and down in front of them and you will see if the other gets brighter, if so then just readjust slightly