Final Year Project - Electronic/Electrical Lockers?

A Twig

Could do away with the hands free phone and also install a coffee machine / kettle :o

My serious contribution to the project ideas is a transmission controller for ZF4HP22/24(electronic) auto boxes and/or US autos like 4L80E, etc. It would solve a lot of problems for those with engines more beefy than LR transmissions can reliably cope. Functionally similar to Compushift or Megashift project. It might need to (in no particular order)

• lock and hold any gear
  • pick up from stationary in 2nd or 3rd (to reduce wheelspin on slippery surfaces)
  • lock the torque converter in any gear
  • sense engine speed / load and road speed
  • monitor hydraulic pressure in the box
  • apply logic to gear selection
  • control solenoids for the hydraulic actuation
  • use PWM control of torque converter lock
  • communicate with vehicle systems - CANBUS, etc
  • cope with vehicle power supplies
  • be robust enough to survive heat/cold/vibration/shock/dust/immersion

Plenty of meat there which have spin offs in the real world. Once finished, assessed, etc for your Masters you might place it in the public domain for others to take forward.

Compushift does all those boxes already though, and douzens more...

OK, another idea for you.

You all know how a differential works - so I'll assume that much.

I have a difficult to achieve idea which would give you everything between an open and a locking diff - but would also allow you to power one wheel faster than the other - providing positive differential steer.

Why is this an advantage?

Imagine you are driving on a flat surface with full traction - when you steer, all the wheels turn at different rates - that's what the diffs are for after all. If you now move to a surface with limited traction, but have the ability to keep all the wheels turning at exactly the same speed they would with full traction - you have the best chance of executing the turn successfully without any wheel breaking traction.

It would be like diff locks for steering. You could even use it in place of power steering.

How do you achieve this?

Add an electric or hydraulic motor to turn one (or both) of the moon gears inside the diff.

Si

Compushift does all those boxes already though, and douzens more...

Correct, but at a price. Electronic control of diff's has been done before as well. Therefore, the purpose of the project must be to demonstrate application of technology and to document it, rather than total blue skies thinking/research. Either type of project could fit the bill and would have interest to those who frequent this forum.

OK, another idea for you.

You all know how a differential works - so I'll assume that much.

I have a difficult to achieve idea which would give you everything between an open and a locking diff - but would also allow you to power one wheel faster than the other - providing positive differential steer.

How do you achieve this?

Add an electric or hydraulic motor to turn one (or both) of the moon gears inside the diff.

How about using a system like the Variomatic cvt used on DAFs and Volvo 440s.

daf55-transmission.jpg

How about using a system like the Variomatic cvt used on DAFs and Volvo 440s.

I always rather liked them for a bit of clever technology. They have a pneumatic clutch between the engine and CVT as well - might be useful to know!

Si