Clutch release bearing 'securing clip'

I'm in the process of fitting a new clutch release bearing/fork/slave cylinder, etc. to my LT77 / 200TDI. I'm stuck though - the little plastic clip that's meant to secure the release bearing doesn't fit properly. There's a hole in the fork that it's supposed to fit into, but the hole appears to be too big. Is the clip the wrong item (it came in the same bag as the fork), or am I missing something?

if you mean item 7 on the diagram below,

the workshop book says, the staple is to aid assembly & has no other purpose,it may become dislodge in service without detriment to clutch operation,

didn't fit one on my release bearing when I replaced the clutch a few months ago.

post-20-1243250387_thumb.jpg

Thanks chaps - I thought it must be there for assembly purposes, but I've put so much time, effort and cash into my Landy project that I'd rather ask a dumb question than find out too late that I should've sought advice! :)

• 6 months later...

if you mean item 7 on the diagram below,

the workshop book says, the staple is to aid assembly & has no other purpose,it may become dislodge in service without detriment to clutch operation,

didn't fit one on my release bearing when I replaced the clutch a few months ago.

If the clip (#7) falls out does it make it harder to reinstall the slave cylinder rod and the fork?

When I push on and wiggle the slave cylinder rod it seems like the fork only grabs in one particular spot and unless I hold it it seems to fall off the release(#1 in diagram).

The slave cylinder rod is clipped to the fork

Any hints on how to get the slave rod into the slave while keeping the fork in place?

My mechanic is starting to think it a bigger problem with the clutch, I'm hoping and thinking its something simple.

Thanks

Its a 200tdi and lt77 by the way

A little access cover on the bellhousing would be useful for a lot of this stuff. Big enough to see in and get your hand through. Changing the clutch fork and messing around with clips and the pushrod would be easy then. I wonder if anyone has cut an access hole in a bellhousing? It could easily be plated over with an oversize plate, sealant and rivets which could be drilled out to remove it when needed. At least it would mean that you dont have to split the engine and box to check all is ok in there............

Guest richardthegardener

A little access cover on the bellhousing would be useful for a lot of this stuff. Big enough to see in and get your hand through. Changing the clutch fork and messing around with clips and the pushrod would be easy then. I wonder if anyone has cut an access hole in a bellhousing? It could easily be plated over with an oversize plate, sealant and rivets which could be drilled out to remove it when needed. At least it would mean that you dont have to split the engine and box to check all is ok in there............

Definitely a good idea! An access panel on the passenger footwell to get at the slave cylinder top bolt would be helpfull too. Series 1's had helpfull things like that, suppose thats progress....

Richard

The clip/pushrod seem to be intact, it seems like mine is the whole assembly floating around - clip/pushrod and fork seem to only grab the release bearing in one spot. When I hold inward pressure on the slave rod it stays in place and I get resistance like you would expect, but if I release the pressure on it, it seems to slip off and go too far in.

Any Ideas?

The clip/pushrod seem to be intact, it seems like mine is the whole assembly floating around - clip/pushrod and fork seem to only grab the release bearing in one spot. When I hold inward pressure on the slave rod it stays in place and I get resistance like you would expect, but if I release the pressure on it, it seems to slip off and go too far in.

When I've replaced a clutch on my LT77 before i had a problem with the pushrod coming away from the fork because the silly plastic clip that holds the rod to the fork always seems to come away from each other, Either through the two prongs on the back of the plastic clip being weak or me being a tad heavy handed, What i have now done since having to take my box off the back of the engine once or twice and during re-assembly and getting frustrated with it is to use duck tape with a hole in it putting the shaft of the rod through the hole and making sure it still will move-so far it's been very successful and I have not had to remove the box again during re-fitting ,although this may seem a bit of a bodge it does actually work

John