Second gear problems

Hi all

I have a problem with 2nd gear in my td5 defender (manual). It's been like it since I purchased it (that will teach me to trust an ebay seller and not test drive!) and now I want to get it sorted out.

When I change to 2nd the gear grinds. It will go in if I give it a push or if in slow down to around 7mph. All other gears are fine and nice and smooth.

Any ideas on what I should look at first?

I would say there's not much you can do other than change the oil and see what comes out.

Sounds like 2nd gear synchro is worn. Does double clutching help?

Could be a dragging clutch, but that'd affect all gears.

out of curiosity, what gearbox does the TD5 get? R380?

Yep, Its the R380

I agree. Change the oil first and don;t rush the change - positive pressure on the gearstick without forcing it and let it fall into gear under that pressure.

so MTF94 is the "proper" one but MT75 may be better? Wow oil is complicated! I know nothing about it so I guess MTF94 is the one for me.

No idea about MT75. I'd just stick with what was intended for now.

Great. I will get some MTF94 and see how it goes.

I have been out and tried double clutching into second but it makes no difference so I guess it will be the synchro that's knackered.

Looking at the worst, if it is the gear, does that mean a new box or just a new second gear? And is it a easy job of do I need to start saving for a real mechanic?

Thanks all.

Looking at the worst, if it is the gear, does that mean a new box or just a new second gear? And is it a easy job of do I need to start saving for a real mechanic?

If you were pulling the box apart to replace a synchro, it'd only make sense to overhaul to box completely.

Have a look at this thread for a recent conversation on the topic.