How do I get the very top bell housing bolt out 200tdi

nickjaxe

As it says in the title guys, I have got an L reg disco for its 200tdi engine and I am stuck, I just cannot get the very top bell housing nut off there is just no room between the bell housing and the body, can anybody put me out of my misery it seems impossible, I seem to have 13 when I thought there were supposed to be 12.

Nick.

Can be really frustrating but realistically as K88 MUD said taking out the cross member and letting the gearbox and engine tilt downwards will give you some clearance you can just about access it with a socket extension through the inside of the vehicle. Would be sensible to either put some of the other bolts back in while you undo this one or make sure the gearbox is very well supported.

I'm in the process of Changing the Clutch and rear oil seal on my 300tdi so had to do all this on Saturday. When I put it all back together I'm going to use an engine hoist through the side door as I really don't fancy taking all that weight while trying to line it up. I changed the gearbox on my SIII that way and it made life very easy!!

Hope you get it sorted!!

If you remove the gearbox rubbers and mounts, the gearbox will rest down at the back, then extension bars to get at the nut - you'll need to hug the bellhousing to guide the socket onto the nut between the strengthening ribs. If the rest of the vehicle is scrap, then cut a hole in the bulkhead and undo the nut through the transmission tunnel.

Les.

take les's advice i did and changed clutch etc by myself well chuffed cheers joe :P

and if you werent scrapping the vehicle dont bother putting it back in