Fitting a standard tow bar to ex MOD 90

twohuts

Is there a standard tow bar kit that will fit a 1991 ex mod 90 that will allow me to keep the NATO hitch. If so where can I get one and is it easy to fit?

I need it quite quickly to get my little boat to the water!

Thanks for any help.

The Military men can comment more exactly on the fitting for your crossmember, but I'll just say 'watch your hitch heights'.

If you put the 50mm ball at the correct height for your boat trailer you might be able to leave the NATO hitch on, but it will more than likely obstruct you putting the boat trailer hitch on the 50mm ball.

I think you will find it's one or the other, not both.

An alternative is to start paying more money for a Dixon Bate adjustable hitch, with two 'sliding' plates, one for each hitch. It's still 'one at a time', but they are easier to change over (and pinch, so never leave one on the base unit while the vehicle is unattended).

HTH

The Military men can comment more exactly on the fitting for your crossmember, but I'll just say 'watch your hitch heights'.

If you put the 50mm ball at the correct height for your boat trailer you might be able to leave the NATO hitch on, but it will more than likely obstruct you putting the boat trailer hitch on the 50mm ball.

I think you will find it's one or the other, not both.

An alternative is to start paying more money for a Dixon Bate adjustable hitch, with two 'sliding' plates, one for each hitch. It's still 'one at a time', but they are easier to change over (and pinch, so never leave one on the base unit while the vehicle is unattended).

HTH

Thanks for your response. I think your right, it's got to be a Dixon Bate.

Regards

Ed

• 1 month later...

my reccomendations are also a Dixon Bate tow hitch as already said with one hitch on one plate and another hitch on others, my friend has this setup on hiy olympic range rover (only one left on the road, two were aparently made) he tows both NATO and standard trailers and is a highly reccomendable setup

mikey

I had Southdown 4x4 detachable jobby on my ex mil 90... Gave excellent ground clearance and protection, and perfect height when towing and left NATO hitch on.

Would definately be worth a look !

Got the same arrangement on my 110....

NATO hitch on the crossmember and a Southdown tank guard with detachable drop plate. I've added a Disxon Bate adjustable height drop plate to the Southdown unit - that's fitted with a 3.5 tonne ball and pin coupling. Plenty of clearance for the various hitches plus I can hook up to almost any sort of trailer.

Matt