Smoke powered winches

BogMonster

2 questions for you knowledgeable people whose winches run on electricity....

Warn M12000, 3.43KW motor which is series wound (I think ... looks original anyway)

1) To make the motor run in the opposite direction, am I right in thinking you have to swap over the F1 and F2 leads on the motor? It currently does the opposite to what the hand controller tells it to.

and

2) Warn's recommended grease is "Aeroshell 17" what readily available alternatives would be suitable as the gearbox is apparently bone dry and certainly rattles like a cold 200Tdi. Would swivel housing grease be suitable?

Ta :)

two of them are just grounds, essentailly, so can pretty much be ingonred! to swap them over you just need to swap which solenoids are operated when the switch is thrown in each direction...

Don't swap the earth over or the planet will start to spin backwards. Be careful opening the control box too - with an uneven number of wires there's always an electrical imbalance in there and it'll either suck electricity in (your watch and mobile phone stop working) or spit the electricity out (lightning bolt from the sky).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - stick with the hydraulic winches, electricity's dangerous. You can't see it, smell it or taste it but it'll kill you on contact.

Its already done all that, six watches and seven mobiles before I figured out what was happening AND there's a hole in the garage roof and scorch marks on the concrete floor :wacko:

It isn't mine but it struck me as probably almost heavy enough to be the basis for a good anchor for my boat...

Warn's recommended grease is "Aeroshell 17" what readily available alternatives would be suitable...

From - Shell Canada - Greases: Aviation greases -

" AeroShell 17 grease is a fully synthetic grease containing 5% molybdenum disulphide. It is particularly suitable for lubricating heavily loaded sliding surfaces such as bogie pins on aircraft landing gear assemblies over the temperature range of - 73 °C to +149 °C "

The Product Data Sheet .pdf is here - http://www.shell.ca/static/ca-en/downloads...icants/5-12.pdf

The RAF equivalent is Grease XG-276 if you're passing Mount Pleasant ;)