RRC V8 3.5 Efi - getting worse

:( My 90 has on the odd occassion stopped, but then started again. Coming back from the in-laws tonight,

(about 8 miles) it decided to conk out about 7-8 times, not much fun when you're on a dual-carriageway :o

It drives, but loses power, battery light flickers, sometimes it kicked back into life, but mainly stopped.

Into neutral (4 sp auto), and coast to a stop. Almost straight away it started (on every occassion), got

started, went for about 1 min, then same thing again :(

Please oh please, can anyone shed some light as to what might be the cause.

Is it coil, fuel, electricky or anything ?

Please guys can you help me ?

PS. I have started to collect parts for MS, but that's a bit down the line due to costs and a 3-day week

for the last 4 months :(

Many thanks, Jon

Thanks for your replies fellas. I had thoughts it might be a break down in the coil, that's why I mentioned it.

I read somewhere that you can't fit a points coil to electronic dizzy and vice-versa ? If so, what part no,

place to get one from ?

Yes Nic , that is the aforementioned ve-hicle in the photo. I've had it 3 years in November.

Still learning, not too bad as a spanner-man, get a bit lost with electrics, especially when you throw

in Efi & ecu of an unknown quantity. I will probably go for a full strip down to bare chassis at some point,

maybe soft top, and certainly megasquirt, so don't really want to spend too much at the mo to keep

things going.

Once again , thank you all for your input

Cheers, Jon

When I put the V8 into my ex mil 90, I frequented the Rangie forums (this is a few years back) and the general consensus was to fir Land Rover coil and disty cap, arm etc.

Loads of posts said that they had pattern parts and spent loads on fault finding, as soon as proper branded set fitted, all OK !

Give your local parts dept a ring from main dealers, mine in Canterbury is great.

we had a brooklands rrc at work and we tried all sorts of things to stop it doing exactly the same as yours, turned out a second hand distributor solved the problem, i can only assume that the shaft had worn enough that the trigger gap was increased.

Don't know if that helps

Dave

New coil fitted :) . Started & ran fine :) , but still the drop in revs to an almost stall

when coming quickly off throttle :( . Something I can possibly live with until I do

rebuild at some point + MS :D

Thanks for your advice, Jon