Exhaust Fumes getting inside Cabin

Hello all,

I'm struggling with exhaust fumes getting inside the cabin of my canvas-top diesel 110. I've tried to drive with both back flap open or closed, but couldn't detect a big difference.

The only thing that helped somewhat was (1) closing the back flap and (2) raising a portion of the canvas's front bead (above the windshield) to create an inflow of air when moving, which, in turn, creates extra pressure inside to keep the bad air out.

Could someone share their experiences and ideas.

Best Regards,

/Jaroslav

You tried just opening the front vents?

Is the exhaust leaking and fumes coming up through the seat box?

Check the exhaust pipe to manifold or turbo elbow to exhaust joint (there shouldn't be any black soot round them).

It's the big flat back that creates a low pressure area. Found the same when driving without the lower rubber seal for the door. Try adding some bend to the exhaust pipe so it points more to the side.

And yes, opening a flap rises the pressure inside, but is not always an option...

Fume curtains have been available for full tilt land rovers for decades.

If you drive with the back rolled up it will always draw exhaust inside unless you open the flaps or similar, you have worked that one out already.

Rerouting or deflecting the exhaust doesn't seem to make much difference, although wind direction/strength does effect the problem.

I don't think it's coming from underneeth the vehicle, but I will definitely check my exhaust piping.

Instead of lifting the roof top flap, is there something I could install in front windows that would deflect incoming air inside?

Check the exhaust pipe to manifold or turbo elbow to exhaust joint (there shouldn't be any black soot round them).

I checked it this weekend and, indeed, the manifold to exhaust joint is leaking. You can't see any smoke but the hand feels puffs of air when the engine is working.

Will fix.

I find that my 90 draws much more exhaust in through the back than my series 2 does- both are ragtops. The only difference is that the series 2 exhaust exits to the side behind the rear drivers side wheel, whilst the 90 exits at a 45degree angle relative to the crossmember, so that the tip is at the corner of the vehicle.

I think i remember seeing different exhaust configurations in the Bearmach catalogue- one seemed to direct out to the side "series style" not sure whether that would be a straight swap though (hangers etc in different places?)...

...page 27 of 38 in the Bearmach Defender catalogue.