Play play play

Took the Defender 110 in for major service. Asked thae guy to look at the play in the propshaft. Personally also had a look beforehand. This is a description of the symptoms, and the play is NOT in the UVjoint as far as I could tell

Parked with all wheels on the grond, with hand brake applied, no play

As above with no hand brake little/minor rotating play on the shaft

Parked with right rear wheel off the ground, with Difflock disengaged handbrake applied, very little play on the right rear wheel

With diff lock engaged without handbrake, there is play on the propshaft. I would say if you put a clock on the handbreak drum, about from 12-half past2

With both rear wheels off the ground, handbrake applied, minor play between the wheels.

In my head it indicates the transfer case is the culprit. The guy that checked it out said it is the Tcase, the slip joint (is that what makes the propshaft longer and shorter?) AND the sideshafts.

Any comments?

The "slip joint" is indeed the sliding splined but near one end that allows the propshaft to lengthen and shorten as the axle goes up and down. To test it, grab the propshaft firmly near the transfer box and pull / push it sideways. The slightest bit of movement means the joint is worn (= new prop :( )

With the handbrake on firmly, how far can you rock the car backwards and forwards, and does it make clonking noises at each end of the travel? If not far and not , then definitely the transfer box. If so, then is could be half shafts (side shafts).