best/worst years

Hello All,

I have narrowed my search for a Defender 110 Td5 county down to a choice of 3.

The truck will be used as a family car, tow vehicle whilst doing our house up (builders trailer) and also for camping with a view to getting a caravan in due course.

First up is a 2001/51 in a rare colour MonteCarlo Blue (which I like) 70k miles, low owners and good service history with warranty from High Peake 4x4 and appears very clean for £10995

2nd choice is a 2003/53 in Epsom Green with 54k miles, 4 owners, last bought from Nene overland but sold to current dealer selling for financial reasons. BUT it had a new Landrover supplied and fitted engine @ 49k miles it is super clean and has a good service history and also has a high ratio transfer gearing fitted along with a warranty from ACCV/ Defender Centre for £12995

3rd choice is a 2002/02 in Silver, it is an XS with only 28k miles BUT having spoken to the guy selling despite him owning it for 4 years he has never had it serviced as he does not believe in wasting his money, but thinks that an MOT is a good indicator of the condition as the whole vehicle is inspected. it is a private sale £13100

Is there any particular year that is better or worse than the other here ?

How important is the air-con that the XS offers on a Defender ?

I did get told by the guy selling the 53 plate that the reason for the new engine was that '03/'53 year cars "could" suffer from poor castings on the head and this was probably the reason for the engine replacement - anyone else heard this ?

regarding the silver XS, 28k miles is low, but I am dubious of the lack of servicing but apparantly the truck only did 1500 between MOT's last year.

All help and pointers would be appreciated

I have a monte carlo blue 90 - it is a nice colour ;)

IRO 2nd choice. If you are going to be towing a heavy caravan or trailer the high ratio transfer box may not be ideal. I've read that they are excellent for motorway journeys, but reduce the ease at which it tows (which makes sense of course). I think the new engine doesn't make much difference as the TD5 engine is good for big miles.

IRO 3rd choice. I bought a low mileage one without much service history on the basis that it hadn't had time to suffer from it. It was in pretty much mint condition - and its proved to be a good deal. I think 28k is in the same boat. After all you could have a vehicle with a full history that had still been abused.

The early TD5's can have the loom issue with oil getting into it. You can do a search on here for that. It is though an easy fix and if you pick either of the ones under warranty it would be an even easier fix!

2002 on TD5's had a few revisions - including a different ECU, which is easier to change maps on. Though its still possible to change the earlier ones too - so not really an issue in my eyes.

Don't know if that's any use?

Don't know about changes from year to year but i'd be very suspect about someone who owns a Defender and doesn't believe in servicing! and don't always trust MOT's, they are only ever valid on the day of test, and they are really only for safety stuff, an MOT won't tell you if a turbo is knackered or wether the head gasket is ready for going.

i'd either do some research and inspect them yourself, make sure you take some old clothes, a torch and a small hammer/prodding tool so you can get under it and give it a thorough going over OR: get someone who has good knowledge of landys to do the above, beer usually works as incentive... :D

better to spend a lot of time on inspection and get a good 'un than rush it and buy a nail.

The 02 plate XS would be a very early XS - I'm guessing the number plate starts with a "B" or a "V"? If so will most likely be a EX Land Rover car; and being Silver may be an ex-offroad car so have a good poke around for damage/wear underneath.

Mark.

Don't know about changes from year to year but i'd be very suspect about someone who owns a Defender and doesn't believe in servicing! and don't always trust MOT's, they are only ever valid on the day of test, and they are really only for safety stuff, an MOT won't tell you if a turbo is knackered or wether the head gasket is ready for going.

i'd either do some research and inspect them yourself, make sure you take some old clothes, a torch and a small hammer/prodding tool so you can get under it and give it a thorough going over OR: get someone who has good knowledge of landys to do the above, beer usually works as incentive... :D

better to spend a lot of time on inspection and get a good 'un than rush it and buy a nail.

hi i tend to agree

i am a plumber i was once in the merchants when a lady came in looking for a new boiler, boasting that she had never serviced her boiler and it lasted 6 yrs which she thought was great!!! if she had serviced it every year it would have lasted 30 yrs

i am sure that its alot more important for a defender!!!

i wouldnt touch the 3rd one with a bargepole!

sorry, but something with such low mileage and no servicing is going to be trouble.

Just reminded me of one of my staff who bought a ford ka 2 weeks ago with 18k on the clock - 6 years old...... she drove it home on the motorway and the engine went pop, so i ended up going out and towing it to my local garage for her (i'm a nice boss!). Supposedly the old dear who owned it from new had never done more than a 5 mile journey in it and the thing had probably never been fully warmed in its life. When the garage whipped the head off it was like the black hole of calcutta. Head gasket had gone due to blockages in most of the waterways and rad leading to overheating, all the spark plugs were fouled up so much he was surprised it sparked at all, loads of crud in the top of the cylinders and there were enormous ridges on the bores at the top. New engine was the only fix...

I'd much rather have a high miler with good history than a low miler with rubbish history.

Many thanks for all the replies,

Both options 1 & 2 were sold over the weekend, and I decided to give option 3 a miss as it would appear to have been neglected regarding servicing.

I have today done a deal on an '05 plate XS spec 110 Defender in Cairns Blue, paid a bit more as its from a main dealer but I managed to get quite a few accsesories thrown in so am happy.

Picking it up on Friday :D