Raising air suspension without engine??

Jimbo-TD5

Hi all, new on here and need some advice, ive bought a TD5 disco (T plate) with an overheated engine, and its been standing for a few months, so the air has gone out of the suspension, is there any way of pumping it up so that I can tow it home easier?? its only got to go about 2 miles

thanks for any help!!!

The Slabs ecu will want the engine running to raise the rear,you can do it with Testbook easily,but if its only 2 miles and the bumpstops are present just tow it.They often get driven to my workshop on the bumpstops when it all goes wrong.

Ahh brill lads thanks! Ill try jumpleads on it for 10 mins, if it doesnt work ill just tow it on the bumps lol

while im talking about it, What should I look for when I remove the head? It over heated and pushed all the water out, the previous owner had it checked and was told the head is knackered, and there is a new head included in the sale. any advice on what to look out for??

thanks again!

What Ally said ^^^ I don't think it will run the pump without the engine on - but as said for that distance I'd just tow it and to hell with how it looks.

What should you look for? A new engine would be my advice, rebuilding cooked engines is always a bit of an unknown and you can put a load of money into it and find its still f***ed. I once knew somebody who rebuilt a 2.4 VM engine and as soon as they tried to start it all the bolts holding the rocker shaft on pulled out because the metal had been softened by the heat. Ended up buying a new set of heads for about £1500, the final cost of both jobs probably exceeded the cost of a Turners rebuilt engine.

No doubt many people will say they have done it successfully and no doubt many have but unless there's a very convincing reason for using the original engine I'd can it and start with a known good one.

Well Ill take it off, and see how bad it is, Ive found a company that takes the vehicle, swaps the engine and brings it back for 1600 quid, with a years warranty. so if its knackered Ill just go down that route!

I guess it depends how badly its been cooked. I've heard of many cars simply having the head skimmed and gasket replaced and off they go again.

Point I was making is that if you just "whoops" overheated it and caught it quickly then thats fine but if you have bought an engine that has been cooked and you don't know by how much it can be an expensive and painful trail of ££££££ if you are paying somebody else to do it. There are some bloody idiots around that are oblivious to noises of mechanical distress, funny smells and clouds of smoke, and will cheerfully drive an engine until it seizes up - I've seen a few in the last 13 years.

Potential scenario:

"Just" change the head gasket - goes bang

"Just" change the cylinder head - goes bang again

then what?

The point being to be aware of the potential pitfalls - if you are doing it yourself then it's a lot less expensive if it doesn't work but being involved in this line of business for a living I have seen a number of regretted decisions when choosing which route to take rebuilding an engine of uncertain origin.

Well seems as I have got a head free with the sale (a new one) It could be worth fitting the new head and gasket to see what it does, because im not really losing money then lol, only having to get someone to time it. and if it goes wrong, Ill go down the new engine route!

You'll be able to judge fairly well the extent of engine damage if you remove the head. Look at the bores and check for scoring or picking up (alloy from the pistons on the cylinder walls)

post-2-1246000100_thumb.jpg

Les.

And just as importantly,check the piston protustions - TD5's are quite good at bending rods and damaging cranks,so if you dont know the history its best to check.Not a cheap engine to repair/rebuild.

Ok guys thanks for all your help, Im picking it up in the morning and Ill let you know tomorrow night how it went!

I must say Ive only been on here a few days and Im very impressed and very gratefull for the help ive been given, Ive been on some forums and they offer no help at all but you guys have been great!!! thanks again!!