Propshaft Phasing

Aragorn

Went to refit the front prop to the disco today, and noticed the phasing isnt right.

As i understand it, the front prop should have one UJ slightly offset to the other one, on mine they're both inline.

I'm not sure how the thing comes apart though to fix it? i tried pulling, but that didnt seem to work.

Pull harder, it will come apart.

To assemble it "in phase", you need to use some force 'cause the splines don't fit too well. As a result, there's a chance the splines are knackered. Examine their protective coat after you pull it apart.

if it came off the car, and wasnt a problem?

leave it alone?

I'd agree, if it wasn't a problem then leave it as it is.

If you must change it then have you unscrewed the collar on the splines that stop the splines coming apart? If you have then sometimes 'shocking' it apart works. Push it as far in as it will go and then yank it really hard outwards. If the grease on the splines makes it difficult to slide it quickly enough to shock it then wash off the grease with some parrafin or light oil and regrease after it is reassembled.

Well it was off the car when i got it, as the guy had swapped it onto his other disco because it had a duff UJ.

He provided another shaft, but this doesnt seem to have the correct phasing (its streight, not offset like it should be), hence me asking how to change it.

I guess the other possibility is that it is infact a rear shaft, but it seemed to fit the gap in the front just about right, and i think the rear is much longer?

I tried just yanking it, but didnt want to pull too hard incase it wasnt supposed to come apart like that.

Whats this collar that needs to come apart? i dont recall seeing anything that looked like it was supposed to come apart?

Cheers

hmm, the 90 prop i compared it with has one of those rubber boots, but the disco one doesnt i dont think.

Perhaps i should post up an image of the prop to see what people think.

Will try and get a photo of it tomorrow evening, as i'm going over to reattach the fan and airbox for its MOT on saturday.

Besides the seal (dust cap) in the pic posted above, there's also the very early type of props where the cap can be unscrewed from the tube. But, unless the cap is cooked/old and lost its elasticity, you should be able to pull the splines through the cap.

Some props have a steel threaded collar, some have that rubber thing and some have a sort of plastic collar that i had to prise over a lip to separate the splines. personally i would whack it on as it is and try it.

Will.

that 45 offset goes against what I was taught in college program - so what does it fix? normally, I ALWAYS set my ujoint in phase so that with the joints cancel out vibrations - and it looks like the rear shaft is set "normal" too - so I'm curious about the front - clearly it's there for a reason - i'm just not seeing it :D

like this link is what I'm used to

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/drivelinephasin...inephasing.html

Its related to the angle of the axle flange vs the TXB flange

on the rear both flanges are vertical, so as you say the speed differential will cancel out with both joints inline.

On the front however the diff nose in inclined, so the axle flange is at an angle and the TXB flange is vertical. This difference creates the requirement for the offset joints to ensure smooth running.

Its related to the angle of the axle flange vs the TXB flange

on the rear both flanges are vertical, so as you say the speed differential will cancel out with both joints inline.

On the front however the diff nose in inclined, so the axle flange is at an angle and the TXB flange is vertical. This difference creates the requirement for the offset joints to ensure smooth running.

very smart - I get it. Thanks. :D