BFG'MT's 285/75 - best place to buy or anyone got any?

Hi all,

Having a play about with wheel and tyres changes at the moment and would like to get 5 x 285/75/16 BFG MT's to fit on some new ZU Rims for my 90

Where is the best/cheapest place to source them?

It means i will end up with 5 x boost wheels with 265/75/16 At's & possibly a nearly new set of 5 insa turbo's, if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Nick

Hi all,

Having a play about with wheel and tyres changes at the moment and would like to get 5 x 285/75/16 BFG MT's to fit on some new ZU Rims for my 90

Where is the best/cheapest place to source them?

It means i will end up with 5 x boost wheels with 265/75/16 At's & possibly a nearly new set of 5 insa turbo's, if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Nick

Not sure if this helps but my local bearmach (aylesford, maidstone) quoted me a lot less then i could find else where. From memory about £50 quid cheaper for 5 with black mods...

FYI - You'll be going against manufacturer guidelines to fit a 285 tyre to a 7" rim. You can still fit them, but you could be opening up a can of worms should you get stopped or have an accident.

You'll find BFG MT KM's in short supply at the moment as the new KM2 is about to appear in UK soon, but for mail order, the likes of Camskill, Craddock, Silverline, Paddocks etc are all competitive.

Ahh, thats not good!.. so what happens if i did fit them? would they not work as designed or look right? dangerous? ZU also do 8 x 16 for the P38 and disco, could i fit these?

Thanks

Nick

FYI - You'll be going against manufacturer guidelines to fit a 285 tyre to a 7" rim. You can still fit them, but you could be opening up a can of worms should you get stopped or have an accident.

You'll find BFG MT KM's in short supply at the moment as the new KM2 is about to appear in UK soon, but for mail order, the likes of Camskill, Craddock, Silverline, Paddocks etc are all competitive.

They were not designed to fit a rim of less than 7.5" according to BFG's data, which means the bead won't seat the way it was designed to fit. You'll find plenty of people ignore these guidelines and have no problems, so at the end of the day it's your decision.

The point is you are knowingly using it outside the manufacturers designed guidelines and as such you are potentially liable in the case of an accident etc. For a vehicle used on road, personally I wouldn't do it, but as I said it's your call.

The P38 and Disco II wheels won't fit without adapters (£2-300) as the pcd is different to Defender.

You could happily fit 255/85 16's (33") or 265/75 16's (32") to the ZU rims, unless you want that wide tyre look. btw the 255 and 265 will perform better off-road in UK than 285 too.

Cheers

Steve

It is basically a lovely big get-out clause for an insurance company: if you have a blowout followed by an effing great big accident, some little short man in thick rimmed glasses with a small efficient moustache and a clipboard will turn up and say "Ahhhh you shouldn't be doing that" in a very nasal irritating voice and then rip up your insurance policy. It might not happen, but it could, and arguing that lots of people do it and the majority are still alive wouldn't be worth much.

Also consider that all the big BFGs are about a million quid each at the moment even if you can find any - the prices have shot up in the last six months or so.