Jobs to do whilst the floor is out...

Bowie69

I've got the rear floor out the Rangie at the moment, and a nice shiny Ali one from QTDarren ready to go in, and was wondering if there was anything else I should tackle whilst I have moderately better access to the fuel tank/chassis etc before I pop rivet the whole thing down?

Top of the fuel pump and the steel fuel lines look a bit crusty, so will probably replace the lines, is it worth chucking a new fuel pump in it now? It's done 110K miles ish, so done a fair old distance...

Any brake lines will get inspected and changed if necessary, chassis scrubbed, painted and waxoyled.

Anything else?

Many thanks :)

Would agree with that give the rear x member a real good look at and possibly take the tank out and look very carefully at the rear chassis legs.

Having had to spend a few hours welding daughters RR which appeared to have been used for launching boats given all the rot was at the back it would make sense to spend some time whilst the floor is out.

Thanks guys!

Rear Body Crossmember? Access is far better with no floor in.

Mark

Thanks Mark, forgot to mention, already got that sorted, new one went in about a week ago, not sure I would have got it in without taking the floor out TBH :unsure::huh::)

Any thoughts on the fuel pump, is it worth switching for a new one at this mileage?

Thanks again :)

Drop the tank and treat the chassis rails. RR's of that vintage have rubbish steel in the chassis and the rear portion is particularly susceptible.

It will give you the chance to sort out a rear winch mount without blowing yourself up too... :P:lol:

Drop the tank and treat the chassis rails. RR's of that vintage have rubbish steel in the chassis and the rear portion is particularly susceptible.

It will give you the chance to sort out a rear winch mount without blowing yourself up too... :P:lol:

The rails look pretty good TBH, from what I can see.... but I hate to think what the tank is hiding... will drop it out and take a look, thanks :)

As far as a rear winch mount, that's another project for another month, got enough on my plate as it is :P

Will stick a new pump in it as well, just to make sure...

Ah, that's a job for today when I have a few minutes where my computer stops receiving new emails -off to soak it all with penetrating oil :)

Chassis cross member is pretty rot free, surprisingly :)

Found this when I did mine a couple of years ago. While you're checking fuel lines, brake lines etc. have a good prod around the supports at the end of the round chassis crossmember where the fuel & brake lines are clipped. The same spot on the opposite end too..

Lovely rust traps there. If you need to weld them it's much easier if you cut a flap in the floor slope and bend it out of the way.

Bob