Water proofing a V8?

Steve 90

Now the V8 is mega squirted and running I have no excuse not to get in water (Well other than the fact I hate getting the truck in water) when the time comes that its necessary. The ignition side of things should be OK. What about the rest. Its a 1997 3.9 serp' motor out of a discovery. Areas with potential issues as far as I can see are-

1 Dip stick, I don't think ive seen such a poor, antiquated excuse for a dip stick in quite some time. Im well aware of replacing it with a sealed up bung or a plastic bag but I would prefer to just have a decent dipstick. So does anyone know of any later versions that are better and a reasonably easy fit?

2 The breather in the back of the N/S rocker cover. What have people done with these? Tempted to cut it off, drill and tap where it used to be and fit a tube which runs with the other breathers. Any better idea's?

Anything else that may cause issue that I havn't thought about?

Cheers.

Steve.

1 Dip stick, I don't think ive seen such a poor, antiquated excuse for a dip stick in quite some time. Im well aware of replacing it with a sealed up bung or a plastic bag but I would prefer to just have a decent dipstick. So does anyone know of any later versions that are better and a reasonably easy fit?

I have new rubber "O" ring on mine but put a bag that's taped up good and tight just in case.

2 The breather in the back of the N/S rocker cover. What have people done with these? Tempted to cut it off, drill and tap where it used to be and fit a tube which runs with the other breathers.

I have drilled and extended the breather with tubing up to the snorkel also don't forget the oil filler cap, all the pipe work for the flame trap to plenum and if your planing some proper wading the brake reservoir needs a bag also, just in case.

Oh and a sealed snorkel is useful... :P

HTH

jeff

I have new rubber "O" ring on mine but put a bag that's taped up good and tight just in case.

I have drilled and extended the breather with tubing up to the snorkel also don't forget the oil filler cap, all the pipe work for the flame trap to plenum and if your planing some proper wading the brake reservoir needs a bag also, just in case.

Oh and a sealed snorkel is useful... :P

HTH

jeff

Cheers, The rest of the truck (Air intake, brake res etc) are all sorted as the truck has seen some proper deep water in the past (well up the windscreen deep), its only the bits concerned with the diesel to V8 conversion im worried about. Is there an issue with the oil filler cap's? Thought they looked like they were OK. pipe work from flame trap to plenum is in good condition.

You can pull the rocker breather apart which just leaves a stub about 4mm diameter which takes a piece of rubber vacuum hose nicely to adapt to a breather pipe. Whatever you do make sure you maintain the very small hole in the breather or you will allow to much air in which will screw you idle control.

I agree the oil filler should be OK.

Auto dipstick also needs sealing if you have one.

I would imagine the brake servo also needs something but have no idea where the vent is.

Steve

No 2 :

On mine removed the mushroom fitting by shear brute force and jiggling :lol:

its just pressed in, and the carbon seals it :(

Then I drilled and taped for a Screw fitting air line connector unit whiches takes IRRC 5mm Water pump hose (clear)

This then goes up, through the bulkhead and up to the internal ashtray area, then the old mushroom unit

complete with gauze filter it shoved into the end of the now extended 5mm Hose :)

Dipstick, erm "Condom + zippy ties" :rofl:

Nige