Very bad wobble at 50 ?

A very bad wobble has developed on my def 110 hi-cap, so bad that the tub detached itself on drivers side front due to stress, the panhard rod has some play on axle mount side i beleive movement has caused the bolt hole to become too large, as swinging off it with a metre bar did no work. would there have to be a shock gone aswell, or should I just weld and drill axle panhard mount and invest in a new bolt? any ideas would be appreciated, cheers.

I've had some probs with worn panhard bushes as well, but as bad as the wobble got (and it was BAD, people behind me were convinced I'd lose a wheel!), I never felt like I couldn't keep the car on the road.

Also make sure the bushes are the cause, and not just a symptom of another problem (like a worn bearing, balljoint or swivel preload too low).

Passenger swore the wheel was going to come off - and yet of course when we got out and rocked it, it was on as solid as it should be. You'd have thought there was only 1 wheel nut on or something. At higher speed, I don't doubt I'd have had a real fight on my hands !

New bushes (Devlon?) being fitted today, and custom made on top of that - so it fits the chassis-bracket properly.

A

I used to get a wobble at 55mph, had to be very careful of 'ruts' in the road made by wagons as this would set it off.

I changed rear bushes, convinced it was rear wheel steer.

I changed front bushes and repaired a slightly elongated hole in the panhard rod bracket on the axle end.

New steering damper.

All the above helped but didn't cure it, the thing that did stop the wobble completely was resetting the preload on the front hubs, I had practically none.

I can now reach 70-80mph in full confidence...But still drive about at 55-60mph. :rolleyes: